Check Out My Cake!

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 12:09pm by craftyone65

mom42ws Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 11:25am
post #1 of 16

This weekend I made two cakes that I was really proud of and thought to myself, "I'm getting the hang of this"! This was one of those cakes. Now, I thought becuase of it's whimsy attitude that the unsmoothed bc would play into the look but now in pictures I see that it just looked unfinished or messy. But aside from that I love the overall outcome.

My friend is moving to NYC and her nickname is poodle so I created this cityscape (templates from WBH). It's vanilla butter cake with mousse filling and candy melt city. 8" round. I'd like to know from you what would you have charged for something like this. I think if I put it on my website people will inquire and I don't have any idea. The figures on the cake took a really long time. I worked on them over the course of the week.

Thanks for looking!
ashley
LL
LL
LL

15 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 16

i love it. i love how the "city" looks it's like illustration from a children's book. wll done.

Arriva Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 16

Beautiful cake -- but I can't help you on the price.

mom42ws Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 16

hmm, yah, i don't on the pricing either. i really just don't have a clue. it's a really fun process and i would love to make more cakes like this.

jennbryanfrank Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 16

very cute!

AJsGirl Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 16

Very fun cake! Sorry, can't help with pricing. But it looks cool!

SweetResults Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:27am
post #7 of 16

I love it! Start with $50 for the cake itself, then an additional $25-$35 for all the chocolate work? I'm sure they took sooo long to do! Is that enough?

mom42ws Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:45am
post #8 of 16

okay, i think $25-$35 sounds reasonable. thanks laura, i was hoping someone might have some thoughts as to the price of those.

SweetResults Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:24am
post #9 of 16

HTH! Someday I'm gonna try those, I've just never had the chance - they really look so cool!

mom42ws Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm
post #10 of 16

they really are a lot of fun. i was looking for images to use as the templates and there are all of these coloring books online to get picks from. i can't wait to make another one.

kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:17pm
post #11 of 16

Wow, that is *cute!* You done goodicon_smile.gif

As for pricing - I'd say nothing less than $50 - more like $65-75
It does depend on the going price of cakes in your area.

craftyone65 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:40pm
post #12 of 16

This looks really cool; can you tell me where I would find directions? thanks

Homemade-Goodies Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:41pm
post #13 of 16

So, so cute!!!

Please make a tutorial for us if you do another project...I'd love to try that technique for the illustrations.

And by the way, the roughness of the frosting really adds to the feel of the picture, just really really cute!!!

mom42ws Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:40am
post #14 of 16

craftyone & homemade-

the idea and templates for this came from the Whimsical Bake House book. They have a few different cakes in the there that use this technique. It's pretty easy but I think it just takes a bit of practice.

you basically find an image that you want to use and lay it under parchment paper and tape everything down really well. then you just melt your candy melts and either pipe it on (one color/layer at a time) or paint it on. once each/color layer hardens and dries you can move on to the next layer. gently lift up the chocolate and the image is on the reverse.

i think children's coloring books are a great source of images to use on kids cakes or for practice because the lines are thick and easy to follow. i'm using a greeting card now for a template and just enlarged the images on it for a bday cake. it's really fun!

hope this helps and you should definitely get the book....i love it!

ashley

Homemade-Goodies Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:45am
post #15 of 16

A bit like the BC Transfers, just with the candy melts. Awesome! I'll look for the book and see what else I'm missin'! icon_wink.gif

craftyone65 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:09pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks that does sound alot like FBCT but won't they melt? I just made my first chocolate wrap yesterday and tried to make some decorative chocolate for the top. It worked well until I left the house...then they all fell and melted. I do live in Florida but it wasn't warm yesterday. How do you prevent them from melting and keep them standing like yours are?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%