Chanel Tote Cake Help

Decorating By tguegirl Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 3:06am by tguegirl

tguegirl Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:36am
post #1 of 7

I want to make a Chanel tote for my birthday cake this week. I would appreciate anyone who can offer advice! There are a couple of examples in the purse section and I'm also attaching a picture. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to cover it in fondant, as it is kind of tall and I never have much success covering square/rectangular cakes. Should I cover it all in one piece? (I always get extra fondant on the corners that don't smooth) Should I cut five different pieces and cover one wall at a time? Or should I cover all the sides with one piece and use another piece for the top? I also bought a diamond impression mat to get the diamond effect. Should I press the design in before I cover it in fondant or after? I know these are a lot of questions, but I want to get it right. Thanks so much for any help!

6 replies
RobzC8kz Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:03am
post #2 of 7

Hey there! I've made a bunch of purse cakes, so I am pretty confident I can help you with your questions.

1.) As far as covering it in fondant goes, I study the actual purse (if one is available) and recreate the way it was constructed using fondant in place of the leather. If you cover the cake in the same way the leather was pieced together, it will not only add additional depth and detail to your cake, but it will help create that realistic flare you're looking for. For my money, cutting separate pannels and placing them on the cake works the best.

2.) Pressing your diamond pattern before hand can save a lot of time. Just be careful not to cut through the fondant with the tool or else it may tear at the seams when you are placing it on the cake. One thing that works for me is to lightly score the pattern into your fondant, place it on the cake, smooth it, then go back and trace the pattern over to deepen the lines and really make it stand out.

Actually, you only had two questions! I hope I helped!! icon_smile.gif

tguegirl Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 7

Wow, thank you, Rob! I will definitely cut separate panels and piece it together (it sounds easier that way too!) One quick question- how do you get the fondant panels to stick to the side of the purse? I usually put on my buttercream, smooth, and let it harden in the refrigerator, so I'm afraid the fondant won't stick to the sides once I've done so. Should I use something as a glue- piping gel, more buttercream, etc?
Thanks for all of your help!

RobzC8kz Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 7

You're welcome! If you use crusting BC (I don't) you may want to put the panels on before it sets up. I usually ice the cake, put it in the fridge to firm it up, then apply the panels. And since my BC dries, but doesn't crust, it's still moist enough to adhere the panels to.

tguegirl Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:34am
post #5 of 7

Great! Thanks for all of your advice! I'll be sure to post a pic (unless it turns out terribly for some reason).

tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 7

You can lightly mist the BC with water and the fondant will stick to that.

tguegirl Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:06am
post #7 of 7

thanks for everyone's help! Here's how the cake turned out. I was pretty happy with it- I propped up the bag right next to the cake and people did a double take during the party. The only major problem I had was that originally the straps were standing up. They promptly broke and then I had to frantically make new straps that adhered to the cake. Oh well- at least it was only one crisis!

Quote by @%username% on %date%