Brand Names On Cakes

Decorating By Claire86navy Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 10:30pm by stsapph

Claire86navy Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,
I'm making a shoe cake with a Prada shoe by the side. I'd like to put the brand "Prada" on the shoe box, but my Mom thinks I could get in trouble for that. Is this true? I mean I'm not selling an actual shoe! I have seen shoes done with brand names before such as "chanel". if anyone has some insite on this I would love to know. Thanks -Claire-

3 replies
kendi25 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 4

I am not sure about that - but to be on the safe side I suggest you do like a designed "P" - if that makes any sense. Just to be safe from copyright.

Kendi

leily Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 4

If you are selling the cake then Yes it is illegal. If it is just for you or you are making it as a gift then you can put it on there.

Prada is a copyrighted/tradmarked name and product so it is illegal to reproduce in anyform and receive anything in return (no trading services or having them only pay for ingredients or having them make a donation, you still received something in return)

stsapph Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 4

When I wanted to use a copy righted image for my DH's grooms cake, my baker required me to get permission to use it. Luckily, for me, it was rather easy since it was somewhat techy/geeky and the people thought it would be awesome and just wanted pictures afterwards, but I can see how this could be a problem for other people. As said before, if its for a gift or yourself, shouldn't be a problem. But, if it's something you are selling, you do need permission, but it should be up to the client to get it, not you. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%