Are Rice Krispies Treats Easy To Work With??

Decorating By amytracy1981 Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 6:36am by amytracy1981

amytracy1981 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 9

I want to make this into a cake next weekend but I don't want it to be a ton of cake. It will just be for a small birthday party. Do you think it would work if I made the forearm out of cake and the fist out of Rice Krispies Treats?? If so are the RKT easy to carve/sculpt?? If not any other ideas to minimize the amount of cake used??
LL

8 replies
amytracy1981 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 9

Anyone?

Help me!! Please icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

leily Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 9

I don't carve my treats. I form them while they are still a little warm. I have never had any problems with them, it is just a new medium and has a bit of a learning curve to learn what works best for you.

amytracy1981 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 9

Ok so I was thinking I would carve the forearm out of 4 - 8x2" rounds. How much rice krispies do you think I will need to make a fist large enough to go on top?

RobzC8kz Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:20am
post #5 of 9

Hi Amy!

I use RKT for many of my 3D cakes where I need something more dense for structural support, but don't want my cake to be 90% styrofoam!

I hand mold them into the basic shape I need, then grab a knife and start carving them into a finished shape. One thing about not carving them is that you end up with RKT bumps under your fondant which make your cake....well....bumpy! If you carve, you are smoothing off the rough edges and it will appear nice and smooth when you fondant it.

For instance, if you look at my pics, I used RKT in both Darth Vader and the Stormtrooper busts, The Millenium Falcon, Optimus Prime's head, the skull on top of the Dia de Los Muertos cake, and a host of others.

I think of RKT as edible styrofoam! It holds its shape and is easy to work with.

If making your own, be careful not make them too marshmellow-yee as they'll be too moist and won't hold up their own weight.

I use the premade RKT sheets I get in my bakery supply store, or I buy a jumbo box of 60 RKT's from Costco for like, $10.00!!

For the hands, start out by stacking sheets of about 1-inch thick RKT until you get the desired size. Then, start compacting, pushing and scultping the RKT (by hand) until your RKT starts to look like the rough form of what your need. Once you have that, use a sharp knife to cut in the details.

Make sure you dowl the hand and cake together so they don't pulll apart!

Can't wait to see the finished product!!

PennieK Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:36am
post #6 of 9

I only used them once and had really good results(Camo bear- in pics). I didn't carve just molded while they were still warm. I used an entire batch(using recipe on box) on the bear and he was a pretty good size.

misabel99 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:52am
post #7 of 9

hoe fo you stick the RKT? with royal icing or just water?

sherik Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 5:04am
post #8 of 9

I used RKT I made myself for my Asian Dragon, they worked fine, I did have to squeeze them so they were dense. The dragon sits on 3/4 sheet cake so it was big and very curvy.

amytracy1981 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:36am
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much everyone! I feel alot better about using the RKT's now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%