noveen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noveen Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 1:14am
post #61 of 78

AWill cream cheese frosting hold?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 2:02am
post #62 of 78

some does some doesn't

there's a 4 hour accumulative window for allowing highly hazardous foods ex. whipping cream, cream cheese etc, out over 40 degrees Fahrenheit (and under 140 degrees if its meats. fish & all)

so say you took 20 minutes to take it off the shelf at the grocery store & get it home to the frig

you got 3 hours 40 mins left

sugar can act as preservative but there has to be  certain ratio that i couldn't tell you what it is

and you can do searches for different topics, icings and products too in the search box ^^ up there on the right

noveen Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 10:41pm
post #63 of 78

AThanks. I have stopped thinking about whipped cream. Swiss bc it is. One more question I am making the first big cake ever. It's going to be half chocolate with ganache and half vanilla raspberry swirl with bc+raspberry preserve. It's basically two full sheet cakes togetther and they will be covered in white Swiss on top. How big a cake board do I need? Will I find a box to go with it? Is this a good combo? I am somehow freaked out...

-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 10:51pm
post #64 of 78

i like my boards to be 8 inches bigger than my cakes give or take

so i have four inches of board all around

often 4 inches bigger than the cake is more standard so you have two inches of board showing

it's personal preference

so you're doing two full sheets together (198 servings) ?? doorways might not be quite big enough

but if you mean each flavor is a two layer cake set next to the other on the board that would work

the flavors sound awesome

you can get sheet cake boxes at a cake store

don't know if hobby stores carry them

define two full sheet cakes

noveen Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 7:41pm
post #65 of 78

AThanks once again.

It has to be two full sheets together on one board. I have 16x12 half sheet pan so I am going to bake 4 cakes and put them together to make a large one. I was thinking of having 2" border all around and you are right...I am worried about getting it through the door too. But what if I place them all length size together? Rather than making a regular rectangle, it could be an elongated one. Would that look good?

Actually my customers are kinda friends and they have left everything to my imagination...so ... I don't know...2" borders not good enough?

Looking fwd...

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 8:05pm
post #66 of 78

why can't you make two

do you have someone to help you carry this?

will be kind hulky unweildy

one layer??

and you can do this with 2" of board showing

you want super rigid boards or the cakes will show cracks in the icing

noveen Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 10:02pm
post #67 of 78

AUmmm...because they just want something huge...two layers...

I wanted to do tiered but it's a corporate thing so they don't like tiered...

I am planning on getting a board from home depot...wood...

I am still wondering how I would pull this off....three days to go...

I found out that better creme is something that can be used in place of whipping cream? I won't be using coolwhip anymore...thanks for sharing that article.

Do shed some light on better creme...otherwise my flavors are final

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2013 , 11:01pm
post #68 of 78

i haven't used that in eons--can't remember--sorry

two layer is good/great

that's only the footprint of one sheet cake--no worries!

noveen Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 10:07pm
post #69 of 78

ASomeone today told me that it's unsafe to have Swiss bc on room temp. I am following crumb boss recipe and it comes out good and she says to have it at room temp for 4 days. I am confused...

Also if I am using jam for filling it does it need refrigeration?

Please help me out. Thanks

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 10:25pm
post #70 of 78

margaret braun in her book, cakewalk, advises that smbc can be kept at room temp if in a cool room for several days

she calls it vanilla buttercream but it is smbc--page 211

i inadvertently kept some out for weeks once--of course i discarded it but it was not sour or bad and smelled fine

jam --it depends --probably should be kept chilled--but there are shelf stable fruit fillings where they can be kept at room temp

they are sold in 'sleeves' at cake deco stores

noveen Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 10:34pm
post #71 of 78

AThank you .... You are a life saver...

I am thinking to make the buttercream today and refrigerate it and bake cakes tomorrow and fill them up by thurs night.

For the whole top frosting, I will do it on Friday night. People I met at cake shop told me to start dressing it early in morning.

I have to deliver the cake on sat morning around 8:30.

Jam well I am using seedless raspberry but I got loran's oil in the same flavor when I was told I wouldnt be able to keep jam at room temp. I was told that those jam sleeves don't taste as good?

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2013 , 10:50pm
post #72 of 78

thank you! yay!

some of them--the sleeves-- might be better than others

the lorann oils--use them drop by drop-- they are concentrated--i pour into the lid then pour a few drops into my stuff

some people use droppers

--just add it to taste-- a few drops at at time

the icing--you can frige it if you want but i would not frige mine for use in the next day or two

you got your box and board ready???

noveen Posted 31 Jan 2013 , 2:56am
post #73 of 78

ANo...will go to home depot tomorrow to get the board...

For covering I was told to put dowels in corners and cover with plastic...

I checked all available cake supply shops..they don't have anything...I am from Houston Tx by the way :)

noveen Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 2:51am
post #74 of 78

AJust wanted to let you know that all went well :) everyone happy :D

-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2013 , 2:54am
post #75 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by noveen 

Just wanted to let you know that all went well icon_smile.gif everyone happy icon_biggrin.gif

yay!!!!!

home run!!!!!!! bases loaded!!!!!!!!!!

touchdown!

icon_biggrin.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 3:57pm
post #76 of 78

Glad it worked out for you!

Just wanted to post a recipe I use for others seeking suggestions and opening this thread. :)

Use white chocolate pudding for an all white result.

From Wilton member Bunnywoman:

This is my favorite stabilized whip cream recipe. I have used this to frost many angel-food cakes. You can mix and match up the flavorings or puddings to your liking. It is very versatile.

Bunny's Stabilized Whipped Cream

2 cups of heavy whipping cream
1 TBSP white, granulated sugar
1 envelope INSTANT pudding mix
1 tsp. vanilla
1 TBSP + 1 tsp milk

Place mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 10 minutes.
Remove bowl and beaters and start mixing the heavy whipping cream & sugar for about 2-3 minutes. Once the cream starts to get thick (DO NOT OVERBEAT IT!) then add the dry pudding mix.

Once the pudding is added the mixture will get very thick fairly fast. Add the milk to thin it down to a spreadable consistency. This spreads wonderfully! You can not use a Viva on this as it does not crust.

MUST refrigerate cake and any and all leftovers!!!!!

***NOTES***
I have made this using WHITE CHOCOLATE instant pudding. This was still a nice white color, but only just a slight hint of the white chocolate flavor.

I have made this using VANILLA instant pudding. This had a nice flavor of vanilla but also gave a yellow color to the icing.

I have made this using CHOCOLATE instant pudding. This had a nice flavor of chocolate but also made the icing brown in color. When I made this I omitted the vanilla and added 2-3 drops of Lorann chocolate flavoring and increased the milk by 1 tsp.

I have made this with LEMON instant pudding. This had a nice lemon-y flavor to it. I decreased the vanilla to 3/4 tsp and added in 3 drops of Lorann lemon OR 3/4 tsp vanilla + 1/4 tsp lemon extract. (I like lemon and vanilla together.)

You can even use this recipe and make this SUGAR-FREE by omitting the white sugar and using sugar-free instant pudding. I use this icing for a diabetic cake.face-icon-small-happy.gif

This icing DOES NOT hold up to heat and humidity. I strongly encourage this icing to NOT be used in the summer's heat and humidity.

noveen Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 8:15pm
post #77 of 78

AThank you so much...will definitely look into it :)

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 10:32pm
post #78 of 78

does this have to stay refridgerated? how long can it sit out?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%