Owners Of Business: How Did You Practice?

Business By Beanie1001 Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 3:10pm by TheButterWench

Beanie1001 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 8

I'm interested in starting my own cake business. Right now I'm taking classes and trying to practice. My question is, how did you practice and how often? I'd like to do cookies and cakes, but I don't know if I should practice several times a week or just limit it to my class. How did you get "business ready?" What's your advice?

Bernadette

7 replies
littlecake Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 8

i worked at other bakeries for a few years....i think if i didn't i would have never been prepared for the workload it requires to have your own business...but thats just me.

it took me several years to build up any kind of speed.

cakesondemand Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:14am
post #3 of 8

I worked in 2 bakeries over several years and it gave me the knowledge to know how to set up my kitchen and the experience to work with speed and how hectic it can be. Good days and bad days.

Erdica Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 8

I've never worked in a bakery. But I would make a cake a week to keep up skills. Just little 8" or an 6" and an 8" to practice with stacking. Then DH, his work buddies, family, friends and neighbors got all the cake. They love to test my new flavors and ideas.

Right now things are a little slow in the books for April. Consultations are booked, but orders not so much. So I am going to just do some practice cakes just to keep up skills and I'm going through cake withdraw! LOL.

TheButterWench Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 8

I worked in supermarket bakeries and hotels and private clubs.

I got so tired of kitchen drama that I went and opened my own place and I can be Queen here. LOL

littlecake Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:18am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButterWench

I got so tired of kitchen drama that I went and opened my own place and I can be Queen here. LOL

HA HA HA.....man those bakeries i worked at were full of drama too!....AND DIVAS!.....seemed like someone was crying at least once a week....a couple times it was me icon_redface.gif .

DesignerCakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 8

I practiced every single day until I was comfortable and achieved the level of quality I was hoping for.

I tried something new every day, several times a day. I still practice new techniques when I see something I've never attempted before. That's the anal retentive in me! LOL!

TheButterWench Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButterWench

HA HA HA.....man those bakeries i worked at were full of drama too!....AND DIVAS!.....seemed like someone was crying at least once a week....a couple times it was me icon_redface.gif .

hahaha, too true, but since I just kept my head down and did my job I wasn't the ones tearing up.

The Private Clubs were the hardest, man o man did I ever CRY there

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I mean, it got the the point that I couldn't even torte a cake when the head chef upset me. Many a time I would take the knife and just slash at a chocolate cake, didn't feel too bad it was from a boxed mix! hahahaha

( She had been the sushi and salad chef that they moved into the Pastry kitchen provisionally. I had gotten hired to eventually move into the Head Pastry Chef Position, but I think she liked where she was it was a seperate kitchen and since she was the Executive Chef's Secret Girl Friend she made sure to make my life a living he**)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%