Newbie Question About Basic Technique Resources Or Books

Decorating By deirdreb007 Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 4:33pm by flowermom

deirdreb007 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 5

I am a newbie to cake decorating. I would like to learn how to decorate children and teen novelty cakes.

I am looking for a book that covers techiniques and tips on using fondant and answers really basic questions like: What type of fondant is best? How to store cake with and with out fondant? How to prep the cake? And more questions I probabley do not know I should be asking.

Is there one source for this type of information, or is it an on going search? Book, Video etc.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thank yo
-Deirdre

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 5

You've already found the best cake decorating resource I've ever found...CakeCentral icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I've been reading some cake decorating books, and I've noticed that every author seems to have their own unique preferences. I've been trying things from different books and just seeing what works best for me.

Debbie Brown's books on children's cakes are really neat. I haven't tried any of her recipes though. http://www.debbiebrownscakes.co.uk/

You should try making marshmallow fondant. It's easy to work with and cheap to make...perfect for beginners (like me, I just started working with fondant about a month and a half ago).

cakesnkids Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:43am
post #3 of 5

Online you can learn alot! Seeing it firsthand you can't get better than Sharon's series..www.sugaredproductions.com!

diane Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 5

i agree with texas_rose...you have a wealth of information right here at your fingertips! icon_wink.gif

flowermom Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 5

Hi,

I agree, here you will learn a great deal! I did take the wilton courses, but I have improved so much just expanding to other techniques with this site. I really do like the basic wilton books to get you started, they are usually available at your local craft or book store. I checked all kinds of books from the library so I could see how others decorate and what methods they used. That way I didn't have spend $100's on books I might not ever use. My favorite decorator is Peggy Porschen, she explains how to do everything in her books, but it can be a bit advanced. If you are really serious about getting into decorating, Sugarshack's DVD are worth every penny.

Happy Decorating! Sandi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%