How Would You Do This Design?

Decorating By CharmingConfections Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm by beachcakes

CharmingConfections Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 10

A friend wants me to do this cake for her wedding. How would you go about doing the flower border? Use an embosser and then pipe over? Transfer a patter with wax paper & toothpicks and then pipe over? It seems like there are so many different ideas & products that I am clueless... embosser sticks..? pattern presses..? sugar gun?!?

Any other tips or tricks for my first wedding cake?
Thank you so much!!!

9 replies
DianeLM Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 10

This looks like it was done with a stencil. There are many beautiful stencils out there. Just hold it up to the cake and smear royal icing over it.

CharmingConfections Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 10

where can i buy a stencil?
You just smear royal icing???

Krystl Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 10

do I HAVE to use royal? Can I use a med/stiff buttercream, or frangi - so long as it is loose enough for me to cover the back of the stencil with?

I've seen stencils in Jo'anns, Michaels, Target, Walmart - they aren't all designed for cakes, but a stencil's a stencil!

CelebrationCakery Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 10

I agree on it being a stencil...beautiful design. I think the royal icing would hold up better as long as it is the right consistancy...I have only just begun using it for things...and I still do not have my consistancy down pat....but I would just practice with the royal icing first...and you will get it down pat...

serenelui Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 10

take a look at this discussion previously in CC... it included a link to a webpage that shows you how the stenciling is done using buttercream/ royal icing. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

serenelui Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 10
CharmingConfections Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you! I went and watched the video on using the stencil, but I have a question.. once you've applied it in one spot, how would you then stencil it connection without messing up the first icing you just put down? Wouldn't the part of the stencil that you are holding down that doesn't have the design be going right over the icing you just applied in order for you border to connect?

Krystl Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 10

if nothing else, careful use of your paintbrush to repair the lines should take care of it - but like you, I'm sure there is an easier way!

beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 10

Try this site - they have great stencils - some made especially for cake decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%