No More Powdered Sugar!!!!!

Baking By Ah-na Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 1:54pm by Ah-na

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 8

Can anyone help me???? I HATE the way icing tastes when it's made with powdered sugar....even Buttercream Dream. icon_cry.gif I don't know what's wrong with me but do any of yawl know a good decorating icing that doesn't involve powdered sugar???? Please help b/c I would love to eat one of my own cakes! icon_wink.gif

7 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 8

Try one of the meringue based icings. I like Swiss Meringue.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 8

sorry, I've no other idea on how to make icing! It's kinda like saying you don't like biscuits made with flour. icon_confused.gif

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 8

I have been making SMBC now for several months and except for the fact that it doesn't crust or hold up well in heat, I love it. It is so smooth. I have been having trouble with grainyness when I use any powdered sugar recipe. Even if it doesn't look grainy, I hate the feel of the sugar grains in between my teeth. I tried Indydebi's recipe and Sugarshacks(with regular shortening....don't do that!!!) Of the two I liked Indydebi's. Have to go to the store again and am trying the Whimsical Bakehouse next.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

sorry, I've no other idea on how to make icing! It's kinda like saying you don't like biscuits made with flour. icon_confused.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Too true indydebi. However, I don't like cake, myself. Go figure. icon_cool.gif

Try an IMBC or SMBC. But remember that the smoothing process will be harder.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:34pm
post #7 of 8

Geez JanH...thanks for the consolidation of all these links.

Ah-na, if/when I need a break from buttercream, I usually just head for my other stand-by: Better Homes & Gardens 7 minute frosting...tastes like marshmallow creme, and seals the moisture in for your cake so nicely.

Even though I use it often, personally I'm not the hugest fan of straight buttercream either. But, as long as my customer/friends & family are...I'll keep a-makin' it! icon_biggrin.gif

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 8

Wow thanks alot for the info. I'll let you know what happens!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%