First Time Making Chocolate Bc--Please Help Me

Decorating By Cookies4kids Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 7:32pm by terri76

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:55am
post #1 of 8

This is my first time to make chocolate BC frosting and I was really disappointed. I needed 1-1/2 cups of cocoa powder so I used a little of the regular Herseys and then added the dark Herseys ( over half was dark). The consistancy of the frosting itself was really great but the color was kind of grayish not a really nice chocolate color. I see so many pictures on here with either light or dark chocolate frosting but either way, it is a nice rich color. Can anyone point me in the direction of a BC that has a good color to it, or did I do something wrong?
Thanks, Lily

7 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 8

I use the recipe on the back of the regular Hershey's Cocoa container - it's delish and a nice brown color.

Debbie

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 8

A REALLY nice chocolate bc can be acheived also with adding a some thick ganache... anymore that is how I acheive a very chocolatey looking AND tasty chocolate bc! icon_smile.gif HTH's

And have a wonderful day icon_smile.gif

Christi icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 8

I squirt in a bunch of hershey syrup ... don't ask how much .... "until it looks right!" icon_cool.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 8

I use chocolate ganache as well - good quality chocolate melted with heavy cream.

Can't beat the flavor IMHO.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Do you use use the syrup or ganache besides the cocoa powder or instead of it.
Thanks again
Lily

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 8

mine is in addition to.

terri76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 8

What I do is I make the normal Wilton BC icing (I add a little almond to it though) then I use the powdered Nestle or Hersey cocoa powder. Of course you have to add more liquid to your BC b/c the powder makes it very thick. I just add powder until it gets as dark or light as I want it. I've had many people tell me this is the best chocolate icing they've had.

I've not tried the syrup yet...that's on my to do list.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%