First Time Making Chocolate Bc--Please Help Me

Decorating By Cookies4kids Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 7:32pm by terri76

Cookies4kids Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:55am
post #1 of 8

This is my first time to make chocolate BC frosting and I was really disappointed. I needed 1-1/2 cups of cocoa powder so I used a little of the regular Herseys and then added the dark Herseys ( over half was dark). The consistancy of the frosting itself was really great but the color was kind of grayish not a really nice chocolate color. I see so many pictures on here with either light or dark chocolate frosting but either way, it is a nice rich color. Can anyone point me in the direction of a BC that has a good color to it, or did I do something wrong?
Thanks, Lily

7 replies
thecakemaker Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 8

I use the recipe on the back of the regular Hershey's Cocoa container - it's delish and a nice brown color.

Debbie

wgoat5 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 8

A REALLY nice chocolate bc can be acheived also with adding a some thick ganache... anymore that is how I acheive a very chocolatey looking AND tasty chocolate bc! icon_smile.gif HTH's

And have a wonderful day icon_smile.gif

Christi icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 8

I squirt in a bunch of hershey syrup ... don't ask how much .... "until it looks right!" icon_cool.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 8

I use chocolate ganache as well - good quality chocolate melted with heavy cream.

Can't beat the flavor IMHO.

Cookies4kids Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Do you use use the syrup or ganache besides the cocoa powder or instead of it.
Thanks again
Lily

indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 8

mine is in addition to.

terri76 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 8

What I do is I make the normal Wilton BC icing (I add a little almond to it though) then I use the powdered Nestle or Hersey cocoa powder. Of course you have to add more liquid to your BC b/c the powder makes it very thick. I just add powder until it gets as dark or light as I want it. I've had many people tell me this is the best chocolate icing they've had.

I've not tried the syrup yet...that's on my to do list.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%