8" And 5" Cakes?

Decorating By sasporella Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 1:31pm by sasporella

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 8:30am
post #1 of 12

I am making my brother a birthday cake for his birthday tommorrow. It is nothing fancy just an 8" plain maderia cake with a jam and buttercream filling and a 5" plain maderia cake with a strawberry mousse filling. What i need to know is since the top cake is only a little 5" and is probery only about 2.5" in height, do i need to put dowels in the bottom cake. The top cake will be on a small cake board so do you think i will need support or can i get away with not putting any in?

11 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:07am
post #2 of 12

I would still put something in ... it doesn't have to be much but I would probably use something...depending on how you are decorating the 5 inch. Just so it doesn't sink into your 8"

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 12

It probably wouldnt sink into the cake or anything, but it will keep it looking level if you put dowels in it.

sasporella Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 12

Could i use plastic drinking straws instead of dowels or does it have to be dowels?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 12

Madeira cake is very sturdy, so you maybe OK, but straws to support underneath may give you peace of mind!

sasporella Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 12

Thankyou for all of your help. I will post a picture when it is finished.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 12

One can safely go up 4-5" before needing to dowel.
A 5"x2" cake on top of an 8" will be perfectly safe. No chance it will 'sink into' the lower cake.
If you do decide to dowel it you must put the upper tier on a cake board the same size. Push straws/dowels into larger cake and cut off at the heigth of that cake. If your lower cake is not perfectly level you find the spot that is the highest and put one dowel in - cut at surface; remove and cut all the rest of the dowels that same length.
It would be good practice for future cake to go ahead & dowel this one but realize it is totally UNnecessary icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 12

am making a cake about the same size and am gonna put dowels in just for practice too icon_smile.gif

sasporella Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 12

Finished at last!!!!! I decided to put straws in instead of dowels just for the practice. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1207153.html

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 12

Great job on the cake.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 12

awww it looks adorable!

sasporella Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks guys thumbs_up.gif