Help - How Do I Get Basketball Color?

Decorating By alittlesliceofhaven Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 3:59pm by jo_ann

alittlesliceofhaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alittlesliceofhaven Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:24am
post #1 of 5

I thought it would be a snap - orange and brown with a bit of red to match the spalding b-ball I am making. I don't know if I started with too much orange or if I just haven't added enough brown or red. I can't get past the flesh look. icon_cry.gif

HELP!!! It is 9:30 PM and I really don't want to be up all night trying to get the color and decorating.

edited to add: I did look up other threads, but I don't have terracotta or rust or copper colors. I'm using americolor too.

Thanks for any help!!!

4 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 5

I'm sorry - I would have suggested orange, brown & red if you didn't have terracotta. Hope you figured it out!

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 5

My chart says:

Rust - 1 part lemon yellow, 3 parts christmas red and 2 parts royal blue
or
8 parts orange, 2 parts red red and 1 part brown

Copper - 1 part egg yellow, 1 part brown and 1 part christmal red

hth.

alittlesliceofhaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alittlesliceofhaven Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_ann

My chart says:

Rust - 1 part lemon yellow, 3 parts christmas red and 2 parts royal blue
or
8 parts orange, 2 parts red red and 1 part brown

Copper - 1 part egg yellow, 1 part brown and 1 part christmal red

hth.

Thanks! Where did you get the chart? I saw that Wilton had one on-line but I don't have their colors, I use Americolor so it didn't help me out. I ended up starting with a lot of orange added what seemed like a ton of brown a bit of red. It gave me a pretty close match to the basketball, but I didn't allow for the color to deepen as it set so it is definitely more brown now. Oh well, hopefully the 6 yr old won't know the difference!

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 5

I have a bunch of different color charts that I have found on different websites. I have taken them and put them on a spreadsheet to combine all the different colors combos I found and it's taped to the inside of one of my kitchen cupboards so it's easily accessible. So much easier for me. When I find a new color I add it to the spreadsheet and print out a new one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%