How Was This Cake Constructed???!!!please Help.

Decorating By ShopGrl1128 Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 12:38am by CarolAnn

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 9:54pm
post #31 of 35

Doug, I agree with everything you said except I'd bet there are dowel supports on either side of the lower side of the angled cake. You still have the illusion of the cake balancing on the two balls but I don't think anyone would actually do it with that little support. Two more dowels at that end would add a good measure of support but not show.

I also think they used bc rather than fondant. I'm looking at the edges and corners, and they just don't look smooth enough for fondant.

CakeGrlPA I sure wouldn't put those two top cakes on until set-up. 3 hours on the road is a lot of vibration for a cake and even if this turns out to be a snap, thanks to Doug, and it's the best cake of your life, you'll be nervous enough without the excess worry during transport. You don't have any pics posted, shame on you!, but I'm sure you can do this. When is this wedding?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:34pm
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Doug, I agree with everything you said except I'd bet there are dowel supports on either side of the lower side of the angled cake. You still have the illusion of the cake balancing on the two balls but I don't think anyone would actually do it with that little support. Two more dowels at that end would add a good measure of support but not show.

I also think they used bc rather than fondant. I'm looking at the edges and corners, and they just don't look smooth enough for fondant.

CakeGrlPA I sure wouldn't put those two top cakes on until set-up. 3 hours on the road is a lot of vibration for a cake and even if this turns out to be a snap, thanks to Doug, and it's the best cake of your life, you'll be nervous enough without the excess worry during transport. You don't have any pics posted, shame on you!, but I'm sure you can do this. When is this wedding?

if you look at my diagram you see the lower side is resting on plate on top of the cake and that plate is supported by dowels in the lower tier.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:38pm
post #33 of 35

Just for the record, my DH caught me studying the original photo and out of curiousity I asked him what he thought and of course, he said basically the same thing that Doug described. Must be that man-left brain thing! By the way, DH is also musically gifted too and is great with numbers. Guess that goes into the scientifically minded person.

After seeing Doug's diagram, it's like 'of course', but before that I just couldn't fathom how this cake was built. Now it's like "Doh, of course" {hitting hand on head multiple times}.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:23am
post #34 of 35

I saw this cake on a wedding show and I'm pretty sure that it's all cake. I watched them cut it and eat it. Stunning!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:38am
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Quote:

if you look at my diagram you see the lower side is resting on plate on top of the cake and that plate is supported by dowels in the lower tier.

I know what you mean. I was thinking of putting an additional dowel thru that end of the cake on either side of the ball/support. But looking again I guess that wouldn't work unless the plate on the base cake was smaller to allow those dowels to go into that cake. So I am talking about a support thru the bottom end of the angled cake, thru the base cake and into the board, somehow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%