White Cake Question....

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 1:08pm by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 11

I'm altering my chocolate recipe and turning it into a white cake recipe. The recipe calls for vegetable oil. Would that be what's causing my white cake to be yellow? It doesn't have any butter in it.

It's basically
Flour
Sugar
Buttermilk
Baking Powder
Salt
Baking Soda
Vanilla, Clear
Vegetable Oil

Why isn't it white?

10 replies
beachcakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 11

Are you using whole eggs? That'll give you a yellow cake.

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:07am
post #3 of 11

Oh yeah, totally forgot to mention. I don't use eggs. I have to use an egg substitute b/c the lady I'm making this for has an egg allergy (same as my daughter so I use this to bake with all the time). But with that said, the egg substitute is bright white.

So what could it be? I'm thinking it has to be the oil, right?

beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:28am
post #4 of 11

Gee, maybe! It's the only ingredient that isn't white! LOL

Is it yellow yellow or just kind of off-white? I've found that most people don't even notice if it's a little yellow.

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:32am
post #5 of 11

A little yellow, not yellow yellow.

Would butter do the same thing...make it yellow? What if I substitute the oil for butter? Can I do that and is it at the same ratio?

beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:09am
post #6 of 11

When I do scratch for the family, I make the White Cake II in the recipe section and it calls for 12 oz butter - the cake is pretty darn close to white. icon_smile.gif

That said, I don't know if it would work to sub butter for oil. Scratch baking is based in science; sometimes when you change one ingredient it alters the end result - commercial mixes are much more forgiving.

The fat contents of oil & butter wouldn't be the same, since butter is made of milk fats and water, and oil is all fat. You may need to adjust the ratio.

What about melted shortening? It may just work. http://extension.missouri.edu/nwregion/tasteofharvest/fat_from_a_stick_tube_can_or_bottle.htm

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:38am
post #7 of 11

Thanks! I will try the White cake recipe that you mention here. I just had a piece and it might have needed to cook longer. Not sure I liked it.

sassycleo Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:50am
post #8 of 11

It could be the buttermilk. If I recall buttermilk isn't white white and that certainly could make all the difference. Can you use sour cream instead or yogurt?

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:00am
post #9 of 11

never thought theh buttermilk. I think I am going to go back to the WASC even tho it calls for cake mixes. It just didn't taste good to me and when I cut it tonight, it was definately more yellow than I thought/could see from the crack earlier.

Thanks for all your help

golfgirl1227 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:02am
post #10 of 11

Not sure it's the buttermilk. Just made Rebecca Rather's White on White Buttermilk cake- which has butter and buttermilk and it's pretty white.

I also used the Classic White Cake II recipe from here (which is a recipe from Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen) and it's always been pretty white for me.

Both of these cakes have butter, and one has buttermilk and neither are yellow-ish. So possibly it could be the oil, but others do the WASC and make it with oil and I haven't read of any complaints in the color department, lol.

That being said, maybe you can try substituting butter for oil in your recipe and see what happens.

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 11

I think I will try the Classic White II recipe and see how that comes out. It's worth a try, right?

Thanks for all your input. I know have more options.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%