Please Help Me Pick 5 Of My Cakes To Put With An Resume.

Decorating By reesesob Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 4:24am by xstitcher

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 22

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if you could help me pick 5 of my cake pictures to put along with a resume. I am considering applying for a job at a local bakery and they have requested that I send along some pictures of my work.

My top 5 are (not in any particular order)
The farm
Teacher appreciation
Super hero city (my first one)
The piggy bank
The blue castle

What do you think of these 5? Should I do something else instead??

TIA

21 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 22

i've seen your work. you have a lot to choose from. i would pick the ones that showcase different techniques. could they go to your website and see it all? icon_lol.gif

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 22

I tried to look at them and there are a lot. I think the one with barney is cute and some of the cookie bouquets. Also the ones you have listed are great. I agree with the other post, I would be good if they could see a website or something.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 22

I like the

Blue Castle
Ben cake
The 4th of July cake
Barney
Farm House

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 22

I agree with diane. I would show some different techniques. I'd probably include your valentine's oreos and a cookie bouquet. A multi-skilled person would be more benefit to them icon_biggrin.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 22

I think what I would do first is look at the bakeries cakes or website to see what types of cakes they offer. If they dont do many kids cakes then I wouldn't show too many of those. What is the company looking for with the positions? Don't forget about the copyright laws.
I like your square wedding cake. Good Luck

I am from MA also

reesesob Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 22

Thanks so much everyone!

Here is the website for the bakery...
http://www.cakes4occasions.com
The website says to email resume. Do you think it would be better if I went in or do you think that they don't want people just stopping in? I guess I could call 1st. icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't have a website besides myspace and here. To view the pictures in both you have to be a member. Maybe I should look into free websites. Any tips on where?

Again, thanks for all the info so far!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:45am
post #8 of 22

there are several free website places. just type in free websites and go from there. icon_wink.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:25am
post #9 of 22

Okay, I just looked at their website. I think you should submit these:

Farm
Castle
Little Mermaid
Pink/brown purse

If you can show them that you can DO the kind of cakes they already make (and IMO, you have done them better), that might help them to get an idea of your capabilities.

Good luck with the job. Let us all know if you get it icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:39am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesob

Thanks so much everyone!

Here is the website for the bakery...
http://www.cakes4occasions.com
The website says to email resume. Do you think it would be better if I went in or do you think that they don't want people just stopping in? I guess I could call 1st. icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't have a website besides myspace and here. To view the pictures in both you have to be a member. Maybe I should look into free websites. Any tips on where?

Again, thanks for all the info so far!

Hi,

I took a quick look at the website and I see that they do all sorts of cakes for different occasions. I think if you can't get the website together or they don't want to look at it then perhaps the best thing to do would be to try to include something from each category and use a variety of techniques so that they can see what you are capable.

If you do decide to do a website I would still limit the cakes you send maybe 2 from each category or style of decorating.

I like alot of your cakes but if I had to choose (and I couldn't limit it to five ) they would be as follows:

-square wedding cake
-snowman mountain
-xbox
-farm
-purse cake
-airplane
-piggybank

I had more that I had selected but you did ask for 5 (I though 2 more wouldn't hurt).

Good Luck on the job!

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:10am
post #11 of 22

Although it may not be your biggest accomplishment I would include the one you did for your Wilton 1 Final - its your basic bakery display case cake. I didn't look at the bakery website, but unless they only do custom cakes then they will want someone who can turn these type of cakes out in no time.

I like your teacher appreaciation, Farm, 4th of July, snowman mountain and you should include a wedding cake - your square one is nice as well. Nice job all around!

reesesob Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 22

Thanks so much everyone for all the compliments!

diane - I am working on a site right now. I just have no idea what to put on the home page.
I want to have a couple of different pages, one for cakes, one for Oreos and one for cookies.

psurrette - I need to read up on the copy right laws. I will do that tomorrow.
So the more I think about it, I guess I need to leave out a few of the cakes. Am I correct in saying that Barbie, Ariel, Barney, Ben 10, the superhero city, WWE, Dora and the xbox are all off limits?

Amia Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 22

If I'm understanding this copyright thing correctly, as long as you purchased any of the copyrighted material that went ON your cake, then you should be fine. So the superhero city and the Little Mermaid should be fine since you bought the Little Mermaid barbie and all the superhero action figures. Anyway, that's how I'm interpreting this, but I could be WAY off. Hmm...that wasn't much help, was it? icon_lol.gif

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:33am
post #14 of 22

www.photobucket.com is a very easy photo hosting website. You can make it public and then just include the link to your page. Good Luck your work is GREAT!

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:45am
post #15 of 22

The purse is my absolute favorite of all of your cakes! Good luck getting the position! Keep us posted

-Michelle

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #16 of 22

I think that the idea of getting a photo page from photo bucket or something like that is a great idea. Good luck with everything.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #17 of 22

How can you just choose five?? I do like the Castle, XBox, Piggie Bank, Mermaid and so many others!! Just 5 huh??? hhhmmm....I dunno how you are gonna narrow it down!

reesesob Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 11:43am
post #18 of 22

It makes me so excited that you all like my cakes! I can't say thank you enough.

So I spent most of the day yesterday putting together a web site and I am pretty close to finishing. The only thing left is to add more pictures. Oh ya and a home page icon_rolleyes.gif I have no clue what to put there. I guess I need to write up a little something but I'm coming up blank.

Oh well, here it is so far! Let me know HONESTLY what you think.

WWW.cakesbyreese.webs.com

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 3:27pm
post #19 of 22

Great job on your cakes! I was thinking along ways to showcase different skills so I came up with the following:

Pink and Brown purse cake or the camera to show carving skills
the Farm - modelling
Wilton 2 Class Final - borders, basketweave and different flowers
Captain America - transfer
Princess Castel - great cake and tiered

Good Luck!

Amia Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:02am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesob

It makes me so excited that you all like my cakes! I can't say thank you enough.

So I spent most of the day yesterday putting together a web site and I am pretty close to finishing. The only thing left is to add more pictures. Oh ya and a home page icon_rolleyes.gif I have no clue what to put there. I guess I need to write up a little something but I'm coming up blank.

Oh well, here it is so far! Let me know HONESTLY what you think.

WWW.cakesbyreese.webs.com

I love the website...very easy to navigate and I love the theme...it's fun! Was that a free site?

reesesob Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:26am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

I love the website...very easy to navigate and I love the theme...it's fun! Was that a free site?

THANKS!!! I can't wait to finish it.

Yes it was free, I googled free website and that came up.
http://members.freewebs.com

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:24am
post #22 of 22

Great Job on the website!

Great job organizing everything!

I'm sure they'll hire you in a heart beat!

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%