Help! Rolled Buttercream

Decorating By 2chae Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 4:00pm by 2chae

2chae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2chae Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 7

I made a batch of rolled buttercream...tastes GREAT!! but very greasy. Is it supposed to be like that? Also, it looses it's shape when I'm transfering it to a cookie. Please help!! icon_cry.gif

6 replies
marjiw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marjiw Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 7

I wish I could help you. I made it once and it was way too pliable. Maybe if you placed the cookie on it and then turned it upside down. Maybe it would keep it's shape since the cookie was right on it. I hope I am explaining myself to where you can understand it!!!

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 7

I just made my first batch the other day and I think the tip is to add quite a bit of powdered sugar. Mine wasn't too greasy. Although when I wrapped it around the cake, where it bent it cracked a little.

daneza75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daneza75 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 7

I always put the cut out rolled buttercream on the cookie when it's right out of the oven. It melts and fuses onto the cookie. It will turn into a very soft state, at which point you can manipulate it a little with your finger so that it fits the cookie perfectly. It will look totally greasy and "wet" at this point.

When it's set and cooled, most of the time the grease gets absorbed into the cookie and it turns back into a matte surface. If it still is greasy, that is very easily fixed by blotting with a paper towel... but only do this when it's completely cooled.

Hope this helps!!

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 7

I love RBC b/c it tastes just like BC, but looks as smooth as fondant.

You need to add more powdered sugar.

For a softer look once it's been applied to the cake add a dusting of powdered sugar and smooth it in.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 7

When i use RBC on cookies I cut out my shapes on parchment and transfer them to parchment squares by flipping it over onto a square then flipping it again toanother square so it will be the right way then stack on a cardboard and stick the shapes in the freezer. They are much easier to handle this way as they are stiffer. I then apply them to the hot cookies as soon as they come out of the oven. Then cool for a few minutes and remove to wire racks to cool completely. I haven't had a grease problem doing them this way. but as daneza75 says It can be wiped with paper towel. I usually have wipe the RBC with paper towel when I cover a cake with it.

2chae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2chae Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 7

Great tips! Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%