Can I Freeze Royal Icing Flowers?

Decorating By Lora-Ann Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 5:12am by lorijom

Lora-Ann Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,
I am planning on making my mom and mother in law a mothers day cake using lots of royal icing daisies. I would like to make these in advance and freeze them if possible. Can I freeze them and if so how should I do it? Also if you can freeze them, how long can they be frozen? Do I let them thaw completely before putting them on the cake or can I put them on frozen?
Thanks!

6 replies
Kay_NL Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure why you would freeze them since royal will dry as hard as candy and remain good to use as long as you don't store them in an air tight container and keep the dust off them.

I store my royal flowers in egg cartons in a cupboard!

Lora-Ann Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 7

Okay! I wasn't sure about freezing royal icing. Thanks!

beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:11am
post #4 of 7

Noo! Don't freeze RI - the moisture will soften them. icon_smile.gif They'll keep forever in an airtight container. OK, maybe nearly forever icon_wink.gif

Cake_Princess Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:21am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora-Ann

Hi everyone,
I am planning on making my mom and mother in law a mothers day cake using lots of royal icing daisies. I would like to make these in advance and freeze them if possible. Can I freeze them and if so how should I do it? Also if you can freeze them, how long can they be frozen? Do I let them thaw completely before putting them on the cake or can I put them on frozen?
Thanks!

The royal icing will actually hold up from th freezing. Back home in the Caribbean the bride actually freeze the top tier that's covered in royal icing.

However, you can just place your daisies in airtight containers.

deanwithana Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:34am
post #6 of 7

RI can be stored at room temperature for about a year in a breathable container. I store mine in a wicker looking basket if that helps. If RI is frozen, upon defrost the icing will break down and become very shiny.

lorijom Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:12am
post #7 of 7

I've had about a dozen panoramic eggs for over 30 years. The royal icing is still as perfect as the day I made them. Just protect them from moisture and dust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%