How To Repalce Cocoa In A Recipe To Make It White? *update*

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 12

I have a chocolate cake recipe that I LOVE - my mom's top secret cake - and since I can't find a white cake that seems to work with my egg replacer as well as it does with my chocolate cake, I was thinking I could take out the cocoa to make it a white cake, but do I add in more flour to make up for the lack of cocoa and how much more flour do I add?

My recipe calls for 3 cups of flour and 1 cup of cocoa. Can I replace the cocoa by adding an additional cup of flour? Is there a formula out there?

Any advise would be great. I want to experiment today to see how it comes out, but I'm not sure how to do it. Thanks in advance.

11 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 12

I replace mine with four, but its only 50 grams of cocoa. the choc recipe is for 50g cocoa and 250g flour, so the vanilla cake I just use 300g flour.
Why dont you do a test cake and see how it comes out?

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 12

i was just thinking the same thing yesterday. i would love to know too!!!

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 12

I'm not sure if this would work, but maybe you could add an equal portion of powdered sugar in place of the cocoa. Too much flour may alter the taste and with cocoa being a semi sweetner as it is, powdered sugar may work. You may want to add vanilla or even some white chocolate ganache to keep the chocolate theme but as a white cake.

Hope these work, I'm just thinking outloud...lol, and if you are ever in the mood to share your moms secret recipe, I'm always on the hunt for a good chocolate cake!! icon_lol.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 12

Okay, you talked me into testing it. wasn't sure if there was a rule of thumb or not. I'll report back in a couple hours and which method I used. Maybe I'll only replace it with 1/2 cup flour as not to mess with the delicate balance it already has... icon_lol.gif First I need to get to Michaels to redeem my 50% off coupon and to the store to pick up more baking powder. I don't have enough.

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 12

The cake is out of the oven. Other than it peaking and cracking around the peak ever so slightly, it looks PERFECT and came right out of the pan. While cooling the peak settled and I now have a peferectly level cake. However, I'm upset it peaked and cracked so I am going to have to adjust the flour. My next batch I will cut it down by 1/4 cup and see what kind of results that yeilds. I can't wait to try it out. I'll let it cool for another 40 minutes, then wrap it up and stick it in the fridge for an hour or so to get cold then I'll pull it out, tort it, fill it and frost it. Then I'll get to eat it. But I need someone to objectively critique it. My DH is dieting so he won't. I'll have to get a neighbor! Sorry to ramble!

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:08am
post #7 of 12

DesertDiva - it's not that much of a secret, my mom always tells people that....she's a nut. icon_lol.gif

I'd be more than happy to share my chocolate recipe. It's the easiest cake ever.

Chocolate Cake

3 cups flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1-1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your cake pans. I use the Wilton stuff and it works great. My mom doesn't grease her pans, but I do.

Put all the ingredients together and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stop and scrap the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure it is all mixed in.

Pour in to your pan and bake according your pan size. This recipe yields exactly 6 cups of batter.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:27am
post #8 of 12

hehehehehehehee... icon_lol.gif

Thanks again!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:25am
post #9 of 12

Not to hijack the thread, but dessertdiva, since you said you're always on the hunt for a good chocolate cake, this recipe is to die for - it's the Scott Wooley Clark "fudge brownie cake" and it's on p. 3 of a hershey's cake thread http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-52587-30.html. Although it's not nearly as easy as Trixyinaz's cake. Sorry if you've already seen this here on CC, I am so crazy about this cake I can't seem to shut up whenever I see the word "chocolate" and "recipe" in a thread icon_cool.gif.

Trixyinaz when are you going to give us your opinion of your dechocolated cake? I'm so curious!! I love that it's made with buttermilk, I'll bet it's amazing.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 11:42am
post #10 of 12

1 cup cocoa... woah! what's the color of the cake? is it really dark? am tempted to try it now LOL

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:28pm
post #11 of 12

I'm sorry, thought I did.

Dechocolatized cake was a thumbsdown.gif for me, but a thumbs_up.gif for my DH. But aren't we our own worst critics? It definately was not a "white" cake so I am assuming the vegetable oil caused it to turn yellow/brown. I torted the cake and filled it with BC so for me, it was too much BC and not enough cake. Maybe that is why I didn't like it, and the fact that it wasn't white.

It was also more dense and I think I may have undercooked it. It was very moist.

I am on the hunt to get this eggless white cake down. For some reason I'm having issues with this particular cake. I'm going to try the Classic White Cake II and replace the 6 egg whites with my egg replacer. I hope it works [insert fingers crossed].

Trixyinaz Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #12 of 12

Cupcake - yes, it is a very dark cake....but very very yummy. My mom was constantly making this cake for people....usually by request. When she'd make it for us, it was devoured instantly. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%