Crisco Prices - So Much Higher!!!!!

Decorating By Michele25 Updated 5 Apr 2022 , 2:12am by kakeladi

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 31

I know flour prices have gone through the roof, but I almost died when I saw how much crisco has gone up!!! I usually buy the large 6 lb. can of regular crisco at Walmart. It used to cost me, I believe, around $6.44 a can. I was at Walmart yesterday and was going to stock up again, and noticed the large can is now $8.44!!!!!! Did I miss something? Does anyone know what caused this huge price increase?

30 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 31

PRices are raising all over the place. hopefully indydebi will chime in with her numbers but I know in the last year she has had some items raise over 150% from what I have seen in other post.

But to answer your question, it all comes down to Corn and Gasoline.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 31

Yes, everything is rising!!!

These are some of the items I buy at Walmart that have gone up:

Item

GV Self rising flour, $1.00 now $1.99
Sugar, $1.00 now $1.89
Evaporated Milk, 1 can, $.50 now $79

The Crisco, I've started buying GV Veg Shortening not because of the price but because of the flavor and smell after Crisco changed their shortening to have no trans fats. The taste is the same. Just more creamy and have to get used to that texture.

susieq76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieq76 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 31

In the past three weeks a bag of GV powdered sugar went from .98 to 1.29 per 2lb bag.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 31

I've noticed the Crisco prices going up too.

Everything seems to be going up, though. Spaghetti noodles seem to have doubled in price (I've actually been considering using my pasta machine for its REAL purpose) and tortilla mix has gone up. It's always been cheaper to make most things from scratch, but now it's not. We're actually eating Sonic burgers on Tuesday (half price after 5pm on Tues) because it's cheaper than making burgers and rolls at home.

My sister says that other than gas prices driving up grocery prices, part of the problem is that countries that never really used wheat flour are starting to, and so there's a greater demand. (my husband wants to know if that means that rice will get cheaper icon_lol.gif )

I've been thinking of getting a Sam's membership, because when I grocery shop, I shop for either 2 weeks or a month, so big packages don't scare me...but for anyone who has a Sam's membership, is the savings really worth the cost of the membership?

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I've been thinking of getting a Sam's membership, because when I grocery shop, I shop for either 2 weeks or a month, so big packages don't scare me...but for anyone who has a Sam's membership, is the savings really worth the cost of the membership?

Do you have a Costco near you? Their membership is cheaper than Sam's and YES, the savings are huge! It's $50 a YEAR! Sam's is $65, I think. At first, it may not seem like a huge saving, because you can't really walk out of there having spent less than $100, but you don't have to go back for over a month. And Costco sends out mailers with lots of coupons every month. I'm a huge Costco fan. I love Sam's too (I just make my grandma take me, since she has a membership thumbs_up.gif ). And if you spend A LOT of $$ every year, the exclusive membership is $100, but you get 2% back on the total annual amount you spent, which could pay for the membership itself. Don't forget, they're not just bulk grocery suppliers. I buy clothing, appliances, diapers, cosmetics, bath and body stuff, formula, towels, toys, holiday stuff, movies, and best of all I get my books at half price (I'm an avid reader)!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 31

I am a Sam's member and I pay only $40 a year, that is the most basic and affordable they have.

I too have noticed the prices... I was in shock to see the prices on eggs just yesterday... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 31

MariaLovesCakes wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

text

The Crisco, I've started buying GV Veg Shortening not because of the price but because of the flavor and smell after Crisco changed their shortening to have no trans fats. The taste is the same. Just more creamy and have to get used to that texture.

I've consider buy the GV brand you said 'no' after taste? I just might have to give it a try. Do you have to add more powder sugar since the shortening is so creamy?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 31

DH cake mixes went from .98 to 1.08 this past week at Walmart... and even in ALDI, flour went from 1.29 to 1.49 to 1.69 --this week alone! There was a report on the news this past week that farmers are planing 8% less corn this year than in years past which will affect everthing all the way down to chicken nuggets. Why? Is this a way of strong-arming the consumers? It just makes me so angry!

SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 31

Here in sunny South Carolina, Sam's membership is $35 and Costco is $50. I get all of my butter and cream cheese from there and I usually buy the 20lb bag of sugar (they use to sell Dixie Crystals, but since the Savannah Ga refinery tragety they sell Domino's) I also get the Crisco from there. I am a bulk buyer also so that part doesn"t scare me either!

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 31

A membership to Costco is definitely worth the $50. Plus if your a legal business you can write it off with business expenses. Costco sells 50lb bags of powdered sugar for 19.99. I get all of my cleaning supplies there as well as other personal household items. I buy my milk from there along with my eggs. I can get 7.5 dozen eggs for 12.65.

Be prepared to spend some money while your there it might take a visit or two to get over the "receipt shock" But when your only to have to go to the store once a month it more then equals out!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 31

I wonder why my Sam's is more? I supposedly live in one of the cheapest cities in the country (believe me, it feels cheap anyway icon_sad.gif ).

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:03pm
post #13 of 31

I bought the super huge can of Crisco at Sam's just last week and it's only $6.07, so whether it's Costco or Sam's ... yes, the membership IS worth it.

Corn affects EVERYTHING in the grocery. Since corn is being diverted to bio diesel fuel production, the laws of supply and demand are kicking in. Cows, pigs and chickens eat corn, so the price of corn feed afffects the price of eggs, milk, cheese, bacon, pork chops, hamburgers, and even those yucky chips called "pork rinds". Since a farmer's overhead is going up on everything, then so does his cost of production ... ergo higher prices on tomatoes, green beans, CORN, apples, etc.

Here are some of my numbers from my spreadsheet that I keep on supplies I buy.

- Boneless chicken breasts: Up 38% over a 4 month period.
- Eggs: Up 78% over a 6 month period.
- Cheapo Imperial Margarine: Up 15.7% since last month
- Cans of chafer fuels: Up over 11% ... this translates into $1 per can and I use 2 cans per chafer pan; a minimum of 5 pans per catering. So my overhead costs just jumped over $10 Just to set up the buffet table ... I dont' even have food on there yet!
- #10 Can of Corn: Up 29.7% since January 1.
- 16oz plastic cups that I use went from $4.99 on Jan 1 to $6.59 on Feb 7 .... a 32% increase.
- Salad dressings up 25.1% (Jan 1 to Feb 7)
- 50 lbs bags of flour up 31.8% in JUST THE PAST 3 WEEKS!!! It's up to just under $30 a bag. I remember 2 years ago I paid less than $6 a bag!!
- Frozen French Toast Stix - up 48% (over about 6 months)
- Pasta: Up 34% (pasta is made from wheat flour. Wheat fields are being diverted to grow corn, since the price of corn is up for farmers. Supply-n-Demand rules kick in. Lower supply of wheat ... higher price for pasta).
- #10 can of whole peeled baby potatoes: Up 15.7%

If you slept during your Economics Class, it's time to dust off that book. We live in a global economy. While everyone wants to blame the war on Iraq as the sole reason for high gas prices, you ALSO have to factor in the industrialization of 3rd world countries. Factories are being built hand over fist in Asia and other underdeveloped countries that previously didn't have a high oil demand. But it takes power to run factories and power to run them 24/7, so ..... again ..... the rules of Supply and Demand take over. Higher demand for a limited supply = higher prices worldwide.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 10:49pm
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Why? Is this a way of strong-arming the consumers? It just makes me so angry!

Indydebi already talked about the supply and demand. I personally don't believe that farmers are planting 8% less this year. There is a higher demand for corn, which makes it have a higher market value and I know qutie a few farmers that are planting corn again this year instead of rotating their farm ground. They want to sell as much corn as they can while the demand is high so they can get mroe $. Maybe the 8% is in your area?

However I also know it has been talked about that since corn is in such high demand that farmers are planting corn instead of toating their crops. When they do this then everything else goes up in price b/c not as much is being produced. So either way it is a loose loose situation unless we start tearing down homes for more farmland. (which these days in some places the land would be worth more than w/a house on it)

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:10am
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Corn affects EVERYTHING in the grocery. Since corn is being diverted to bio diesel fuel production, the laws of supply and demand are kicking in. Cows, pigs and chickens eat corn, so the price of corn feed afffects the price of eggs, milk, cheese, bacon, pork chops, hamburgers, and even those yucky chips called "pork rinds". Since a farmer's overhead is going up on everything, then so does his cost of production ... ergo higher prices on tomatoes, green beans, CORN, apples, etc.

Corn was just a topic on yesterday's morning news!

I just paid 6.49 for a 6 lb can of crisco at BJ's - guess i should've bought a few more!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:17am
post #16 of 31

Prices have rose here in Canada too over the last year.I used to be able to buy the I kg can of Crisco for $4.99...now it is up to $7.00 a can....flour and sugar have gone up too.That is exactly why as of June 1st I have increased my prices...Have too!!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:43am
post #17 of 31

I was about floored when I stopped by Walmart to get a few cake mixes & noticed they went up. Guess I'll be price matching them babies. I get my PS & Crisco from Sam's---haven't done so in a few weeks. But I pay abt $4.5 for 7 lb of PS & $6.88 for 6 lbs of Crisco.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:12am
post #18 of 31

I may just be nuts, (WELL ACTUALLY I KNOW I AM! icon_smile.gif) But...I believe Wal-Mart sells mixes the cheapest around me, I just checked that out-Grocery stores close to me have DH Mixes (All flavors) for $1.59 a mix. Wal-mart is $.99 that is a big savings Betty Crocker is $.89. I think all of you ladies are smart for knowing where to go and for what! My advise for the memberships is...if you have a family member (like a sister or mother or in-laws) with pricing going up, maybe you can go in together with them and get a membership? I have a Sam's Club with my mom, and my Husband & MIL have a Costco membership-I think they DO pay for themselves. I personally LOVE both Sam's & Costco, sure its a few hundred every time you go-but it adds up to much more buying at the grocery stores over time. I hate that what was once an affordable hobby for some is a grocery store punch in the breadbasket. Maybe if you think in terms of where you can cut back that might help soften the blow. Some of my Wilton student graduates have emailed me that they are using MMF, instead of purchasing it for 4x as much. Maybe making family members 6" Round cakes-for practice. I don't really know that the answer is I just know that my husband wants to get 4 chickens in the backyard for eggs (5 dozen crates just went up to $10.00) and I have the WORST picture in my mind of our chubby little toddler watching the 2 dogs chomping down his new pets! YIKES! Best of luck, and keep in mind when someone is nickel & diming you over a cake that in some instances you may not be making a profit on, that you are TOTALLY justified in CHARGING MORE THAN Costco ON A BIRTHDAY CAKE! icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:31am
post #19 of 31

Both Sam's and Costco have different levels of membership:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=3380

http://www.priceviewer.com/costco/costco_membership.htm

Soybean prices are going up (not only because of increased trucking costs) but because of it's use as a petroleum substitute in so many products (candle waxes, soap and beauty products and so much more). And then there's soy milk, tofu, cooking oil, shortening, etc. for people and as an ingredient in animal feed and pet food (just like corn).

Retail food prices (in the U.S.) are expected to grow faster than the rate of inflation between 2008 and 2010:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2008-02-21-food-inflation_N.htm

However, countries all over the world are suffering (most more so than we are):

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/03/24/food.ap/index.html

HTH

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:54am
post #20 of 31

why not buy the hi ratio shorting its better and it does'nt break down like crisco and you dont have to use as much big bucket is $ 60.00

margery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margery Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 7:04am
post #21 of 31

I find the best price for vegetable shortening is 50lbs of Chef Review from Smart n Final for those who live in the north-west areas. The best eggs around in So Cal are from Trader Joe's. I love Costco too (and they love me LOL) but they can't compete for these 2 items!!

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 7:07am
post #22 of 31

I have two questions: I hear people talking about the high ratio shortening but where do you find it. Is it possible to stock up with flour, cake mixes ect and how far ahead can you store them?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 7:42am
post #23 of 31

Hi-ratio can be purchased at Gordon Food Service or a restaurant supply, or cake decorating stores, or on-line, but not usually supermarkets.

Just about everything you ever wanted to know about hi-ratio shortening:
(What it is, where to buy, recipes and more.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-219731.html

Cake mixes are generally shelf stable for about a year:

http://www.henrycoema.org/forms/Storage-Life-of-Groceries.pdf

Shelf life of common cooking and baking ingredients:

http://tinyurl.com/6jvlg3

HTH

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 7:58am
post #24 of 31

great thanks janH

glmoore001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glmoore001 Posted 31 Mar 2022 , 7:38pm
post #25 of 31

I Googled to see why Criscois is so expensive and found this post. I checked price on Amazon today for a 6lb can and it was 28.99!

It may be because Preppers found out you can stick a couple big candles in a 6 lb. can and make a candle that will burn for days and days.

Regardless of the reason, I will not be investing in a 6lb can for my pie crust anytime soon.

glmoore001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glmoore001 Posted 31 Mar 2022 , 7:38pm
post #26 of 31

I Googled to see why Criscois is so expensive and found this post. I checked price on Amazon today for a 6lb can and it was 28.99!

It may be because Preppers found out you can stick a couple big candles in a 6 lb. can and make a candle that will burn for days and days.

Regardless of the reason, I will not be investing in a 6lb can for my pie crust anytime soon.

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 31 Mar 2022 , 10:56pm
post #27 of 31

This post started back in 2008, just before the 2009 break down...Oh dear, life goes in circles, or should I say in cycles?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2022 , 11:35am
post #28 of 31

I'm a little scared of candles but I love them so I start a timer when I light a candle and blow them out when I leave the room -- I mean like if the dog has to be let out and I'm coming right back, I still blow out the candle --

I like to burn scented candles in the workshop where I wrestle with cigar boxes -- (I up cycle cigar boxes if anyone didn't know) the boxes have been winning but I think I have them pinned down -- 

and I hope the circling cycles are heading toward an upswing -- fingers crossed, knees bent, eyes upward -- 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2022 , 11:53am
post #29 of 31

glmoore001 -- yes and at least vanilla has come down some --

but what I was getting at when I wandered off into boxes, cycles and hopefully an upswing -- is that I would be hard pressed to light a can of shortening on fire! the poor dog would pee his little pants!!!! and I would too!!!

that's a floating candle on steroids -- I'd have to put the whole can into a big pot in case it tipped over and you couldn't enjoy the flame anymore -- and who wants to smell deep fried candle -- just not working for me -- kwim

smile

it says right on the can not to heat it to get all the shortening out -- but some peppers think it's ok to circulate an idea to light it on fire? we don't have to worry about world events anymore, reggie -- worry about hellacious freaking grease fires -- 

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 1 Apr 2022 , 12:04pm
post #30 of 31

I only use shortening for buttercream when I have to. Other than that, I use my own rendered pork fat. As for candles...I only do birthday ones... and lots of them with this bunch of kiddos!

I love your motto boss "fingers crossed, knees bent, eyes upward" I'm going to borrow it until Easter!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%