Chocolate Stout (Guiness) Cake

Decorating By jmpearl Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 2:44am by JanH

jmpearl Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone have suggestions for filling and icing? I will be making a 2 tier cake.

11 replies
pamconn Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 12

I've used chocolate ganache and chocolate raspberry ganache.

sugarMomma Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 12

How ironic I saw this topic. When asking my dad what type of cake he wanted for his birthday, he flippantly replied "Guinness".

He's irish and a big guiness drinker, and was not being serious, but I googled it anyway thinking there's a recipe for everything!

So, I am going to surprise him with one, and will try a cream cheese icing for filling and light icing, with a chocolate ganache overlay. I've never had this cake before, much less heard of it, so I hope it's a good combo!

anikkim0915 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:19am
post #5 of 12

Ohh.. I am so going to try making one of these soonicon_smile.gif

beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:29am
post #6 of 12

It's actually very good! IMO the cake doesn't taste like chocolate or Guinness. Still good! icon_smile.gif

julzs71 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:29am
post #7 of 12

there is a guiness pudding. I can't remember which site. recipezaar or allrecipes or type in guiness pudding.

tracey1970 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:39am
post #8 of 12

I have made this cake too - the one from Epicurious. It's very good.

Chefperl Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:41am
post #9 of 12

can you use margarine instead of butter in the cake recipe?

dttcb Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:54am
post #10 of 12 has a bunch of recipes for Guinness items! I made Guinness cupcakes and Guinness ice cream for my FIL's birthday last year...they were both great! I think Emeril is where the ones I made came from.

Good Luck! It's really fun doing something new and different!

There is life beyond WASC! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Debbie thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:57am
post #11 of 12

I'd stick with butter.. margarine has a lot of water in it.

Chocolate mousse is an excellent filling for this cake. I just made it for DH's birthday.. a thin baked layer of chocolate stout cake (1/2 -3/4 inch) in a springform pan.. cool and then top with chocolate mousse to the top of the pan and chill for an hour at least and serve.. delicious with a drizzle of ganache and fresh sweetened whipped cream.

JanH Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:44am
post #12 of 12

Stick margarine and butter are both 80% fat and 20% water (and solids). icon_smile.gif

However, margarine spreads are an entirely different product:

Quote by @%username% on %date%