Help With Business Name

Business By Trixyinaz Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 7:49pm by Doug

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 14

We are dorks and can't come up with a good one. We have a few in mind, but want honest opinions.

For some background, *WOODA* is my daughters nickname. She's been Wooda since she was an infant and even her teachers call her Wooda. It's just our little goofy name for her icon_lol.gif

My Papier Mache business name is Wooda Designs and my DH thinks we should have Wooda in this business name as well. I dunno!

So I am coming here to get your opinions and any suggestions. If you don't like any of the names in the poll and you have a suggestion, please post it here. I did a business name check in Michigan and they aren't taken.

For starters, I plan to do cakes and cupcakes and then move on to cookies and maybe some candies within the next couple years. I'm also a pie maker so I can see me doing those in the distant future.

13 replies
costumeczar Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 14

I'd use the cakes and confections one if you intend to do more than cakes in the future!

4them Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 14

you managed to give us a lot of background on your daughter, I think wooda is a bit much, "she's taking over" icon_lol.gif just kidding icon_lol.gif I can't really give a suggestion because you seem pretty sold on the, wooda, but as a mother, i tend to always put myself last, and when it came time to open my business--i decided it was also time for me to do something for me and --it will benefit the whole family--I did not use a family name--i used a name that will not box me into a certain little area-- i am a pastry chef i do pretty much everything, so that's why i did not want a tag(cakes, cookies, chocolates etc.) So having said all that I named my shop Delish Bakery and Coffee Shoppe everybody loves it and they know i do a little bit of everything - Every area is different- if you have made that name a successful brand in your area GO FOR IT!

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks! I am not sold on Wooda. I actually don't want to use. Wooda Designs was perfect b/c my product is geared towards kids and since Wooda is my kid and a fun little nickname, it was perfect. I want something fun for a bakery name, but adult fun, not kiddie fun. I want something that is catchy, but when you hear it, you know what products I sell.

You are absolutley right about not boxing myself in with a name. I'm an adventuours type person and I can totally see myself going from bakery to bakery and sandwich shoppe. Ya know what I mean?

CreationsByLaura Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 14

Sweet Confections
Tiers of Joy
Sweet Indulgence
Sweet Creations by Trixy

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 14

Laura - those are adorable. I love those names. Thanks!

4them Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:30am
post #7 of 14

o.k. great now i can give suggestions, i like catchy names if they are not to complicated they stick with people. I once read on here about a bakery with the name "Batter Up" and i always think of it. So how about:

Bread and Butter(if you incorporate a little deli with fresh breads)

cream and sugar

sugar and cream(or creme)

before i started typing i had a million of them icon_redface.gif hth

indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:58am
post #8 of 14

Two schools of thought on similar names.

If it's a great reputation company, then piggy-backing on that name is beneficial to the 2nd company.

However, it can backfire. For example, when my kids were in diapers, I got a marketing survey call in which I told them I'd never use a disposable diaper made by Kleenex. The word "Kleenex", for me, brought up an image of a really thin piece of tissue that I blew my nose with.....the image of that product being strong enough to use as a diaper did not give me any confidence. So in that case, using a well-established name was detrimental to their ventures into disposable diapers.

Philadelphia Cream Cheese is the only Kraft product that does not carry the Kraft name.

THe name of your business should tell people what it is you do. I read an article once about a company called Teddy Bear Land. They hired a marketing firm to find out why they weren't doing well. Marketing firm made them change their name .... people thought they were a toy store that sold teddy bears .... had no idea it was a daycare center!

nicolesplace Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:20am
post #9 of 14

I am also toying with names. Here are some that I have been playing with:

Occasions - I thought of this because people will be coming to me for their "special occasions"

L'il Cravings - self explanatory

Sweets and Treats

Mommy's Yummies

SpringFlour Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:25am
post #10 of 14
Originally Posted by nicolesplace

I am also toying with names. Here are some that I have been playing with:

Occasions - I thought of this because people will be coming to me for their "special occasions"

L'il Cravings - self explanatory

Sweets and Treats

Mommy's Yummies

To nicolesplace: I had to chuckle when I read "Mommy's Yummies." I thought only of breastfeeding. That might not be the image you want to convey! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

nikki72905 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:39am
post #11 of 14

Some of these may sound silly -- it's late, I'm at work, and a little bored ...

Confectionaly Trixy
(could use a play on words or a fun logo hehe, Eg. a pile of cakes, candies, cookies, cupcakes ... etc. with a cartoon drawing of you sitting on top drinking a cup of coffee/ eating a sandwhich)

Trixy Confections (I think someone already said this)

Pure Delights (could be anything but always sounds yummy)

Extasy for your tastebuds

Tastey Enchantment

Enchanted Delights

Pure Gratification

Tastey Pleasures

Plesurful Tastes

Satisfy your tastebuds

Ravish in our delights

Ravished delights

Induldge yourself

Induldge your tastebuds

Tastefully Induldgent

You'll flip for our treats (more of a slogan than a name)

Thats what I got for now ---

Enjoy - Nikki (I have this very problem coming up with a name for a business... its so hard)

I would not incorporate your daughters nickname into it - there may come a time where she wants to get rid of the nickname... if there is a business and people "know" this was her nickname she may have a hard time getting rid of it -- My DSS's nick name is Boog (derived from Booger head/then boog head) He is trying to find his way, away from this nickname and if his friends new he would be devistated, his dad and I are no longer allowed to say it at school. LOL

Good LUCK!

bigmama1961 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:58am
post #12 of 14

why not '' SWEET TRIXIES'' just pop in my head..

wolfsonmom Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 14

Since you live in Canton, you could do something alliterative, like Canton Cakes or Canton's Best Cakes & Confections. Good Luck.

Doug Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:49pm
post #14 of 14

Sweet Indulgences

Quote by @%username% on %date%