Two Questions About A Cake I Am Delivering Today...

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 7 Apr 2008 , 1:32am by CarolAnn

aprilcake Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 9

first question...last night I baked, filled, icing and covered in fondant so they wouldnt dry out. The fondant is kind of hard to the touch this morning...is that normal for sitting out? should I put a box over it?

second, the drive is 47 minutes or so, i have a 6, 10 and 14 inch round tier...not stacked...until I get there....should i pipe the border for the bottom 14 tier since its on the board already or is there a chance of it shifting and the border shifting, in that case, should I just pipe all the borders at the place?

Thanks for any help!

8 replies
beachcakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 9

The fondant will get hard to the touch, but this is just the "skin" that formed from the air, inside will still be soft.

Your 14" shouldn't shift, but I would pipe it all there, just to be on the safe side.

aprilcake Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 9

thank you beachcakes

CarolAnn Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 9

I'd pipe the borders there. Mine are more uniform if I'm doing them all in one session.

beachcakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 9

You're welcome - good point CarolAnn! I've noticed that too!

Tellis12 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 9

I always try to pipe my borders at the location if I can, just to be on the safe side. I also take a small cake "repair" kit to fix any mishaps that might happen in transport.

aprilcake Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:23am
post #7 of 9

thank you girls for your help ...it made it there in one piece...however I need more help on figuring out how to stack each tier on top of eachother without my fingers smudging it all up! here is the link to the cake ...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1206565.html

beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 9

I push the dowels all the way in, then pull them back up an inch or so, center the tier on top and let go. The gravity will push the dowels back down. It works pretty well, although I get the occasional finger in the icing! icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:32am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

I push the dowels all the way in, then pull them back up an inch or so, center the tier on top and let go. The gravity will push the dowels back down.

This is essentially what I do also. I get a lot less finger marks using this method. Since I got my stress free supports it's worlds easier for me than before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%