Business Name And Legality Questions

Business By Trixyinaz Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 1:22am by dragonaldy321

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:20am
post #1 of 8

Okay, I'm just starting out, but I so desperatly want a name. icon_razz.gif I do have a small business for my crafts, have my business name registered with the state, etc. But there are no laws about not being able to run that business in my home either.

So my question is this...can I create a name for my "cakery" and have it registered with the state (so no one else can use it) even tho I am just making them and selling them from my house? I can't remember, but registering a name is just that....not applying for a license, right? I just don't want to open a can of worms since I am doing this from home and in my state I can't be a licensed baker at home. I am hoping to someday have a storefront, but in the meantime, I would like to register a business name and then when I do get a storefront, I can get a business license, etc. Is that possible? What would you do? I don't want to be known as Vicki's Cakes and then when I actually do get a kitchen to change names. KWIM?

It's early so forgive my wording and lack of clarity.

7 replies
CarolAnn Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:50am
post #2 of 8

I think if it were me I'd wait until I was ready to open up shop to register the name. I'd think that once you register you're on the record and someone will start checking into what you're doing with that name. Sounds risky to me.

dragonaldy321 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:56am
post #3 of 8

In Michigan you can register your business name with no problem You have to pay the fee every year to renew the name. I believe that the fee is ten dollars a year. Go to and type in small business and all of the informtion is there. When you register your business name that is all you are doing. It's when you get a license that they start investigating.
That's why I have not gotten a license yet. I too work out of my home.

indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 8

You can register a name without having an actual business. I know a guy who has about 20 biz names registered. He gets an idea, and he registers the name so no one else can grab it, until he can get the idea up and running.

CarolAnn makes a good point about being careful, but in my experience, I've learned that gov't entities do NOT talk to each other. There are thousands of biz names that are active and inactive.....they have no time and no desire to check out each and every one.

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks Guys!

Dragon....where are you in MI?

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks Debi....

I was erroring on the side of caution like Carol Anne said. I set up my other business such a while ago that I couldn't find my paperwork or remember where I went to get all that information. For that business I do have a business license, but b/c there are no restrictions for doing papier mache out of your house, it was something I never really looked into.

Like Carol said, I didn't want to draw attention to me while I get started and do this out of my house. I didn't know if by registering my name it would bring attention to me or if, like you said, the diffent agengies don't speak to one another and I'd be "safe" until I did get a licensed kitchen... icon_lol.gif

Hhave I said lately how much I love this group! You guys are FABULOUS!!!!

dragonaldy321 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:21am
post #7 of 8

I'm in Oak Park by the Detroit Zoo

dragonaldy321 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:22am
post #8 of 8

I'm in Oak Park by the Detroit Zoo

Quote by @%username% on %date%