Kitchen Space Closer To Home Or Delivery Area?

Business By sunnyrunner Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 12:59pm by indydebi

sunnyrunner Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:23am
post #1 of 4

We live about 45 minutes outside a major Southern California city, where we will be doing all our marketing. The suburb we live in doesn't really have our target clientele.

We are debating about where to rent kitchen space. I understand it's hard to get, so we may just go with whatever we can find. But I'm wanting to get your opinions about where we should start.

Should we look for something in the city where we live, so we can go back and forth easily? Or should we rent in the big city, which might be pricier, but would be closer to all our deliveries? My husband works down in the city, so he's there 5 days a week, and I'm down visiting family 1-2 times a week, so it's not like we're rarely there. My husband would be doing the baking, and we're both going to be decorating. Oh, and we're just across the county line, so it's a totally different county from where we'd be doing all our business. I don't know how much that matters with our business license.

Right now we're leaning toward looking in our own town, just because we have little kids and think it might be easier. Are we making a mistake?

3 replies
beccakelly Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:08am
post #2 of 4

if it were me i would definitely look closer to home. i was renting a space just 25 minutes away and i hated the drive! now i'm literally 5 minutes down the street from my house and i love it. i can go home for lunch breaks, my husband and pop in and help out, and if i forget something at home i can just run back and get it. most of your cakes will prolly be delivered on Fri and Sat, so then you can do all your deliveries to the city in one trip just two days a week, instead of driving back and forth every day.

cocorum21 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with beccakelly I was renting 45 minutes from home and it cost me way too much in gas go there one day to bake, another to do this another to do that and when it's all said and done I really wasn't making any money. Most of my cakes are still from that area and I don't mind delivering there it's only one trip a week plus delivery fee is added into the cost of the cake so it works out better that way.

indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 4

I am 3 minutes from my house and I'm in the "oh crap I forgot" something column! (Make a shopping list ... leave it on the counter! Gather up my laptop ... forget the power cord!).

Plus I make sampling appts after hours, so it's pretty nice to go home at about 3:00 and then come back at 6:00 for the appt ... only 3 minutes away. When my daughter gets home from school, I can run home and pick her up and only be gone about 5 minutes.

My brides come from all over so it wouldnt' matter to them if I was 3 minutes from home or on the other side of the county.l

Quote by @%username% on %date%