Making A Pirate Ship Using Wilton Football Pan

Decorating By kimblyd Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 1:28am by kimblyd

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:25am
post #1 of 4

My question is, should I? In case you aren't familiar with the pan it is shaped like a football cut in half long ways. I'm hoping that I can turn the cake upside down and make the bottom of the ship the rounded part of the ball. Does that make any sense? icon_confused.gif

I plan on covering it in buttercream and probably fondant or candy clay to look like planks and have the whole thing sitting on top of a sheet cake ocean.

Has anyone tried this before? Will it "float" or just fall apart? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

3 replies
kimblyd Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 4

Ahoy maties! Anyone?

angelbabe_28f Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelbabe_28f Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 4

I did this pirate ship back in December. I used a slab cake and the 3D Chocolate cake recipe found on this site, cut into three equal parts width wise and then stacked them with filling in between each layer. I used long wooden skewers inserted vertically to prevent the layers from sliding off. Then I froze the cake. Once it was frozen, I used an electric knofe to sculpt the sides and decks and crumb coated it. Then using Chocolate Marshmallow fondant, I cut strips as planks and stuck them to the sides and top. Skewers were again used as mast and construction paper for the sails. I am sure the football mould would work well with your cake. Good luck and I hope this helps.
LL

kimblyd Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #4 of 4

I have never carved a cake, that is why I wanted to pan that already sorta looks like a ship. I did plan on stacking extra slabs of cake on the front and back to make the different level decks.

Think I will use a pound cake type recipe and go for it!

Thanks for taking the time to reply! (Nice ship by the way, hope mine turns out merely resembling a boat!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%