Question For Wilton Instructor(S)

Decorating By auntsteff Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 5:45pm by yellobutterfly

auntsteff Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:45am
post #1 of 4

Please, let me start by saying that the person teaching classes at my local store *probably* is not the person reading this. I realize this.

I am interested in taking the Wilton Method classes at a local craft store. I have a very close friend (Beth) that is interested in taking them with me, she says I need some "moral support." I have known Beth for almost 25 years.

The issue that Beth has is that she has Spinal Muscular Atrophy, which is a form of Muscular Dystrophy. Basically, except for the fact that she can't walk and limited muscle strength throughout her body (including her hands) she is a normal person.

Because of her disability, she physically can not pipe icing for more than a few minutes at a time. She wants to attend the classes with me, and pay the class fee, but she does not want to do most of what is taught in the class (she simply may not be able to do it). She especially does not want to buy a lot of expensive supplies that she may never use again.

Generally, would this be a problem? Has anyone ever known of someone taking the class with a physical disability that either did not want to or flat-out could not do the homework? I have sent an email to the instructor of the class, but at close to 48 hours after I sent it, I have not gotten a reply. Course I is starting Monday. I really, REALLY don't want to quote the Americans with Disabilities act to anyone (and I hate to bring it up unless I absolutely have to), but should I if they refuse to allow her to take the calls?

I appreciate any and all input!

3 replies
MRRRAR Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 4

Here's my thought, I am not a Wilton instructor but just finished course one. I had two gals in my class that missed two of the four classes, both times they were supposed to bring an iced cake and all of the buttercream, supplies etc they barely had anything done/ready, the instructor basically let them go at their own pace and still gave them the certificate of completion when they were done! If your friend paid the fee and wants to join the class, I would think it wouldn't be an issue at all, maybe just share some supplies with you? I wouldn't even worry about or wait for a reply from the instructor. My brother in law has cerebal palsy, and whatever he would like to try, he tries! I hope you both sign up and enjoy your class!

TooMuchCake Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 4

I no longer teach at craft stores, but I would have said sure, let her come. She's paying her fee, she'll attend the class and do what she can.... No instructor can force you to do your homework. As with any student, she'll do what she can or wants to, and that's that.

This could be a lot of fun for the two of you to do together! And if she doesn't finish the homework, no big deal, she's heard the lesson being taught and if she wants to make the cake later, she can rely on her notes and your help to do it when she's ready.

Have fun! Both of you!

yellobutterfly Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 4

I'm an instructor at a craft store, and I'd have no problem with her taking my course, and as for supplies, I'd say what someone else said - just let her share with you. The only time I tell someone they can't take a class is if they are under age (12 yrs minimum), and that's just because I'm not a babysitting service. (If they were to come with an adult they could come from age 9 and up). Hopefully the other instructor is just busy and hasn't checked her e-mail. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%