Cracks!!!! What Can I Do To Prevent This?

Decorating By death_by_frosting Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 3:23am by death_by_frosting

death_by_frosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
death_by_frosting Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:57am
post #1 of 16

I found a recipe for BC here that crusts so that I can roll it with the roller and paper towel. It tastes wonderful but now my cakes are cracking all over the place!!! How do you have a crusting icing that won't crack once you spend all that time rolling it with a towel to make it look flawless. It just burns me up that I had a beautiful looking cake and now it's ruined!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif ANY ADVICE WELCOME!!! Oh i'm so mad i could spit fire! here i come magaritas!

15 replies
CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:09am
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_by_frosting

I found a recipe for BC here that crusts so that I can roll it with the roller and paper towel. It tastes wonderful but now my cakes are cracking all over the place!!! How do you have a crusting icing that won't crack once you spend all that time rolling it with a towel to make it look flawless. It just burns me up that I had a beautiful looking cake and now it's ruined!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif ANY ADVICE WELCOME!!! Oh i'm so mad i could spit fire! here i come magaritas!

I am sorry you are so frustrated.. The only way I know to stop those annoying cracks is to make sure that the board the cake is on is strong enough not to bend... not even a tiny bit..... none.... Foamcore is pretty strong, and that about all I use now.....

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:10am
post #3 of 16

Hello,
I found that I usually got cracks once I started moving my cake around after it crusted. I think the issue for me was the cardboard underneath my cake was not strong enough to handle the weight. Now I double or triple board my cakes. As soon as I am done decorating, I put the cake in it's box and then I place the box on a large wooden round (that I use for transport). That way when I pick up the round, my frosting is not cracking at all. I hope this helps.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:20am
post #4 of 16

I've had the same problem until I started using a stronger bottom to hold the cake. Now no more cracks.

death_by_frosting Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:21am
post #5 of 16

Thanks, you are right, it is from the moving but my cake is on a drum. I can't get much stronger than that. No matter what, the cake will move some and thus the cracks. The cake will be going for a ride tomorrow and there will only be more and more cracks......I'm sinking into dispair. I'm having a day where I wonder why or why do I think I can decorate cakes?

CakesByLJ Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:26am
post #6 of 16
Quote:

Thanks, you are right, it is from the moving but my cake is on a drum. I can't get much stronger than that. No matter what, the cake will move some and thus the cracks. The cake will be going for a ride tomorrow and there will only me more and more cracks......I'm sinking into dispair. I'm having a day where I wonder why or why do I think I can decorate cakes?

don't throw in the towel yet icon_smile.gif What recipe are you using?

death_by_frosting Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:45am
post #7 of 16

4 lbs. powdered sugar (C&H brand)
2 cups shortening (with trans fats)
1 cup water (but I had to use more)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon butter flavor
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon Creme Royal
1/2 cup corn starch

CakesByLJ Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:56am
post #8 of 16
Quote:

4 lbs. powdered sugar (C&H brand)
2 cups shortening (with trans fats)
1 cup water (but I had to use more)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon butter flavor
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon Creme Royal
1/2 cup corn starch

Now, I am no chemist, but I think your recipe does not have enough fat for the sugar... and the corn starch? not sure why that is needed either... any one else have any insight about this recipe??

death_by_frosting Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:05am
post #9 of 16

I did notice that it does seem to seperate a bit?? it doesn't look the best after it sits and my colors don't look as good with this recipe. I thought maybe I was looking at it too hard since it's new to me. The corn starch was claimed to be for help with humidity which I though would be perfect for my area right now.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:06am
post #10 of 16

Yup, that looks true to me too Laura! Leave out the cornstarch, halve the amount of powdered sugar and cut back quite a bit on the water. (Start with a quarter cup and add a teaspoon at a time until consistency you want is reached!) Also, don't be afraid to sub more flavoring for some of the water. More flavoring helps cut out the shortening taste!

CakesByLJ Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:07am
post #11 of 16

I'm thinking there isn't enough fat to hold it together.. did you have the problem of cracks with other icings you used before?

CakesByLJ Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:10am
post #12 of 16

Well that confirms it.... Melvira has the answer... Glad you jumped in here........ thanks~!

death_by_frosting Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:14am
post #13 of 16

Only once that I can remember and that was because of heavy decorations. Thanks so much Laura and Melvira for taking the time to help. I've be trying to hold back the tears... i have to do another cake tomorrow and I was getting sick just thinking about another ruined cake. Big hug out to the two of you!

CakesByLJ Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:17am
post #14 of 16

awww........ anytime, and good luck with your cake tomorrow.....

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:21am
post #15 of 16

Aw, don't make yourself nuts! We're here for you!! I think the issue is that you had an UBER-crusting icing! It made like a hard crunchy outside that just begs to crack! Like LJ said, there just wasn't enough fat! (Man, I wish someone would tell ME I don't have enough fat! Hehehehe!) I say try it again with a fresh perspective and our little changes, then let us know if it's still an issue! (And yes, I'd hope the cake drum is solid enough... but who knows, I guess it depends on how heavy that durn cake is!)

death_by_frosting Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:23am
post #16 of 16

thanks....back the mixing bowl....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%