Why Does My Filling Bulge Between My Layers??

Decorating By biancas_mommy Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 3:18am by sugarshack

biancas_mommy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 5

I really like the WASC and durable cake recipes I've found on here, especially for tiered/fondant cakes, but ever since I started using them I've had trouble with my fillings bulging out the sides! It seems like the top layer of cake is just too dense/heavy and it squishes the filling. I try not to put too much but it still bulges, leaving this "spare tire" look all the way around the cake. So far I've only filled with buttercream...at first I thought it must be too thin so I tried to keep the consistency pretty stiff to make it able to withstand the weight, but it hasn't helped. I'm afraid to see what'll happen if I try a whipped or fruit filling!!! icon_eek.gif

Does anybody have any tips? What am I doing wrong?? It seems like the only thing I can do differently would be to use less filling but geez, it seems like eventually there won't be any filling left.

4 replies
sugarshack Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:28am
post #2 of 5

you must pipe a dam of VERY stiff icing arond the perimeter of the layer before you fill it. and let the cake settle before you ice.

you can check out my website links for more info or PM me.

biancas_mommy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 5

thank you sharon! i think maybe my bc dam isn't stiff enough? i'll try that. you're always so helpful. btw i finished & posted my dd's blue's clues cake that i pm'd you about awhile back (asking for help with the fondant number on top). the part you helped me with came out perfect...the only thing really wrong with it was the bulging filling!! icon_biggrin.gif

eme926 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:50am
post #4 of 5

Also, put the dam about 1/2 in from the edge of the cake. To give it room to "spread".

sugarshack Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:18am
post #5 of 5

yes, a super stiff dam!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%