Cake Decorating Timeline

Decorating By audrey0522 Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 12:18am by beachcakes

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:32am
post #1 of 4

I usually just make cakes for family - unfortunately they don't live close. Most events are on Sat. We have to leave after work on Fri. which means I have to be finished on Thurs. night. Can I ice (buttercream) in advance and then freeze, Thaw on Thurs. and then cover with MMF and decorate Thurs. evening? Someone told me they have iced frozen cakes and then put it back in the freezer. Does this work? Can I then thaw the iced cake and then cover with MMF? Any advice and hints would be appreciated! How far in advance can cakes be made? Thanks!

3 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:32am
post #2 of 4

you could:

1)bake and feeze the layers, then thaw, ice and then decorate on thursday or

2) bake, fill, ice and freeze. then thaw before you put fodnat on and decorate on thursday.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks! I take it is a no to frosting the frozen layers and then sticking them back in the freezer. I checked out your webpage your cakes are awesome and inspiring!! I am a long way from really smooth fondant! Mine always seem to have a slight bulge around the middle and I have a hard time getting them exactly centered. I just tried a cake with fondant stripes and they were not as straight as they should be. I guess it takes a lot more practice!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:18am
post #4 of 4

If you're experiencing the bulge, try using a really stiff dam of icing to hold in your filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%