Shelf Stable Mousse - My Ramblings

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm by beachcakes

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:31am
post #1 of 7

Sugarshack's BC recipe got me to thinking... Her icing is made with reconsititued non-dairy creamer and doesn't need to be refrigerated.

You can make a mousse out of instant pudding and heavy cream, but it needs refrigeration. Now, I doubt coffee creamer would whip, but what if you used reconstituted coffee creamer w/ instant pudding... at the least it would be a shelf stable pudding, right? And i'm thinking if you used a little less liquid, it would be thicker? Or you could fold BC into it?

Or Dream Whip & reconstituted creamer?

I'm getting desperate. Bettercreme is simply nowhere to be found around here.

6 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:17am
post #2 of 7

If I'm not mistaken the reason for a filling or icing being 'shelf stable' or not needing refrigeration is due to the ratio of water to sugar. If it has a certain amount of sugar added it prevents excess moisture which in turn prevents bacterial growth (as bacteria needs to moisture).

I'm sure someone else who know more about the scientific end would know better.

beachcakes Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 7

There you have it... icon_wink.gif

Thanks Sugarplumfairy - I think you're right. I was never very good at chemistry. Makes perfect sense.

Back to my quest to find Bettercreme...

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

There you have it... icon_wink.gif

Thanks Sugarplumfairy - I think you're right. I was never very good at chemistry. Makes perfect sense.

Back to my quest to find Bettercreme...

Have you searched for it online? Maybe you can find out what local stores carry it in your area. Try to go to the manufacturer's website or look for an 800/toll free number to call.

beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:31am
post #5 of 7

Thanks Grace! I live in the sticks in NY. Have you found it in NJ?

I know of one place that sells it online, but the shipping is like 3x the price b/c it has to be overnighted.

Funny, I tried to call the manufacturer this morning, but I got the message machine. Guess they're not open on weekends.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 6:03am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Thanks Grace! I live in the sticks in NY. Have you found it in NJ?

I know of one place that sells it online, but the shipping is like 3x the price b/c it has to be overnighted.

Funny, I tried to call the manufacturer this morning, but I got the message machine. Guess they're not open on weekends.

I've actually never looked for it, but I believe I've seen it in Candyland Crafts (candylandcrafts.com). I did just check and couldn't find it on their website, so I don't know if they had it for their own use, or if they sold it (maybe just in the store and not online?). Anyway, I do remember seeing something earlier when doing a search for Rich's Bettercream (no, I was not successful with anything that I could recommend) where someone said that Wilton's Whipped Icing Mix is a close enough stand in for the Bettercream. I wish I could find it again now, but I can't. Anyway, that might be of help or even Dream Whip.

Sorry I can't give you a supplier for the bettercream, but I did try.

beachcakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks Grace - i appreciate all your help!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%