Summertime Delivery Disaster

Decorating By pandi1818 Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 4:47am by cathyscakes

pandi1818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pandi1818 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:23am
post #1 of 2

It was last summer on a day aout 90 degrees with 100% Humidity. Have to deliver the cake and hour drive away. Kept it refridgerated until last minute, cooled car with a/c for 20 minutes before loading cake, all windows are tinted dark to keep out sunlight. Guess what still wasn't enough, y the time I had arrived at teh destination for reception, most of the frosting had melted off the cake. All the flower decorations and trim all gone.
So here I am, thankfully with extra frosting I had packed, in the reception hall completley refrosting and decorating a three layer wedding cake. What I didn't realize at first was that where they gave me room to work, happened to be by the bar where wedding guests were getting drinks. So I'm here trying to make this cake look great again, it's still really warm in the place and now I have guests watching me.
Believe it or not, the guests actually thought it as great being able to see this done and in the end when I finished, it looked just as good as the ifrst time. To the amazement of the Bride and Groom when some of the guests informed them what had happend they couldn't believe it was the same cake. They were so impressed that I did it under pressure with guests watching that I received several more orders from friends of theirs after that.
Just goes to shoe, that some disasters can have a happy ending after all. And always rememeber, never ever deliver a cake without backup frosting and accessories with you at all times, expecially during the summer.

1 reply
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 4:47am
post #2 of 2

Wow, I hate when that happens, i'm one of those people that gets really nervous when people are watching, so I would have hated that. I only use all shortening in the summer, too afraid of melting. I have also noticed that when I have used butter in hot weather, it tastes a little rancid, so I don't like to use it, unless I can keep it refrigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%