What Do You Do With Your Cakes?

Decorating By lovetofrost Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 5:00pm by bashini

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:16am
post #1 of 22

Once you make them and decorate them just for practice and your DH is tired of eating them all the time, what do you do with them? DH said take them to different shops and places around town to generate business. Has anyone done this or what else do you do to generate business?

21 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:24am
post #2 of 22

You can do this, but you might want to check on your laws if you aren't licensed. You can also use dummies--my new best friends

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:25am
post #3 of 22

I take most of my "experiments" to work...no lack of guinea pigs there...no lack of suggestions either!

Paula

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #4 of 22

I take mine to church but I am checking into donating them to our local Childrens Hospital. I'm needing some fun cakes for my portfolio and I think the kids would love them.

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:32am
post #5 of 22

I volunteer with a charity and have turned my cake decorating obsession into one of the things I do for the Charity. I make cakes for the children's dream fund, they grant dreams to children with life threatening illnesses. I have a lot of fun coming up with different ideas to go along with the dreams they are granting.

Since I am donating them, I get to decide everything about the cake. flavor, bc vs fondant, what design etc. Gives me a great creative outlet and they get something that is really different and not a grocery store cake.

Plus it feels great the responses I get from the families and kids who see the cakes.

Check and see if you have a local make-a-wish, ronald mc donald house, even places who serve meals to the homeless etc. They have all welcomed the cakes I have donated.

Firestations are also a great place, minor league baseball teams etc.

You can also see if your church needs any for homebound seniors.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:41am
post #6 of 22

I take mine to the elderly in my community, They are very appreactive, I enclose a Thinking of you card it just makes there day.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:10am
post #7 of 22

Battered women's shelters. Can you imagine having to be in one of these shelters .... AND not being about to have a birthday cake for your child? If you are doing one cake a month, you could donate one a month for all the kids who have birthdays that month.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:32am
post #8 of 22

I have sent my experiments to a univeristy here in our town that my kids attended. Their friends have always loved having home baked cakes come into the dorms. They know I like to have feed-back, so they send back their opinions and wait for their next opportunity. Different varieties of chocolate and mocha go over well near study and test times. I have also had the fun of surprising a few of them with Birthday cakes because they were unable to make the trip back to their family homes. The last of my "tasters" graduated this past December. I couldn't believe it. Time has just flown by. When they look back on their college days, I hope our family and cakes will come to mind. I have since been sending cakes to my daughter's fiance's work place. It is a group of men that are very truthful, and love a good cake.

jonicca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonicca Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:20am
post #9 of 22

I send mine to work with my DH. Now they can't wait for me to bake!

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:29am
post #10 of 22

Most of them go to my office or my husband's. Have taken to Sunday School too. Often thought about taking one to my bank or some other local business. Recently had a friend in the hospital, and the staff was so nice that I have been meaning to take a "thank you" cake to them.

thecreativeone4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecreativeone4 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:30am
post #11 of 22

I send them to work with my DH or drop them in the teacher's lounge at my kid's school. My MIL works in a Dr's office and they love it when I bake! Almost all of my cakes are done for family so I rarely need any other practice than what they already provide!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:48am
post #12 of 22

I take them to church or give them away to friends and family but I need to be very careful because if you are not licensed in Ca. you can get in trouble so I give them to "really" close friends or use dummies, I wish I could take them to children's hospitals and make so many kids happy but I really can't, isn't that sad? icon_sad.gif

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:56pm
post #13 of 22

So far I've donated to soup kitchens, our church, and the battered women's shelter. I hope that they have brought a moment of brightness to somebody's day when they are going through a hard time.

I would check into hospitals since they often have strict policies regarding allergies, etc. I always include an ingredient list.

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:13pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Battered women's shelters. Can you imagine having to be in one of these shelters .... AND not being about to have a birthday cake for your child? If you are doing one cake a month, you could donate one a month for all the kids who have birthdays that month.

I Love this idea! Thank you for giving it!

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:34pm
post #15 of 22

Wow! These are some really great ideas!! icon_smile.gif

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:47pm
post #16 of 22

I take mine to work...or send them to my mother's work, or my husbands work....but my favorite is to send them to the teacher's lounge at my sons school............or to my daughter's day care..............

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:03pm
post #17 of 22

In some states you cannot donate unwrapped foods to shelters, soup kitchens and or schools.

There is also a permit that goes along with donating foods as it's a tax deduction.

And, I hate to be a spoil sport here.

If you can find the location of your local battered women's shelter, that wouldn't be a shelter I would feel safe in, and it would be putting My and their safety at jeopardy. Imagine some crazy battering hubby following you?

most of the Battered women's shelters are secret locations that are very hard to find.

Most Shelter and Soup Kitchens get their supplys from a food bank that sends trucks out to collect the foods and staples.

I know this because I do volunteer work with orgs. that feed the homeless, the hungry and a very big one that is trying to eliminate Child Hunger in the nation.

But then again that's down here where I live, Check your local charities and places.

If you are donating things to Ronald House a major player like that, you can get reciepts for your donation that will help your business at tax time.

or even your bottom tax line for those that don't have a legit business, it's still a tax deduction, a legitimate one.

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:21pm
post #18 of 22

What is the best place to find out if its ok in your state to donate if your not licensed? I donate to our local daycare and hubby's work but would love to branch out to some of the places everyone as listed. I love giving away my practice cakes but it does get expensive so I'm looking to buy some dummy cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:33pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButterWench

most of the Battered women's shelters are secret locations that are very hard to find.

VEry true. I remember when I did some volunteer work for a shelter, and when they told me where to go, I was shocked to find out that building was a women's shelter. sometimes they are hidden right out in plain sight.

But maybe you can call the shelter's phone number, explain what you'd like to do and arrange for one of their volunteers to pick it up.

TheButterWench Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:34pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyone65

What is the best place to find out if its ok in your state to donate if your not licensed? I donate to our local daycare and hubby's work but would love to branch out to some of the places everyone as listed. I love giving away my practice cakes but it does get expensive so I'm looking to buy some dummy cakes.

If you're lic it's going to be hard to find a place that will take your food donation, unless it's a private or small org.

The best way to find out if they will take your donations is to call their administration.

TheButterWench Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:38pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheButterWench

VEry true. I remember when I did some volunteer work for a shelter, and when they told me where to go, I was shocked to find out that building was a women's shelter. sometimes they are hidden right out in plain sight.

But maybe you can call the shelter's phone number, explain what you'd like to do and arrange for one of their volunteers to pick it up.

Yes, that's a good way to go about it and keeps everyone safe!

thumbs_up.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:00pm
post #22 of 22

When I want to make a cake with a new recipe, I make it and give it to few friends of mine. They always gives pros and cons of the cake. So, before I add a new reicpe to my menu, I get it tasted and then I know it is a good one or not.

my DH like only Vanilla cake. So I think its the best way to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%