Increase In Destination Weddings?

Business By indydebi Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm by pastrylady

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:12am
post #1 of 8

I'm seeing a LOT of brides getting married in Florida or Cancun and having their reception a couple of months later. ANyone else seeing it? I've got 7 of those already this year. I think I only had 1 last year. Brides are telling me it's SO much less-stressful for them (and they get to wear their wedding dress twice! icon_lol.gif )

I've noticed that attendance at these tend to be a little higher than my 60% Rule .... I think it's because the guests view it as just a big party, and are more likely to show up since they don't "have to" sit thru the wedding. The dress-code is more casual, the atmosphere is more relaxed.

7 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:41am
post #2 of 8

I've been having that a lot lately too.

Sometimes the reception will be several weeks after the wedding....it's nice because the customers are not as stressed out.

at first it seemed odd to me when they'd tell me..."oh, their already married."

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 8

I had one last year and have another one on the calendar for this year. Personally, I'm loving it. No snooty hotel staff, no stressed-out brides (or mothers of brides!). I hope the trend continues! LOL

Deanna

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 8

If y'all recall my recent story about my first slider cake, it was for one of these weddings and I honestly believe it didn't turn into a big disaster because it was a non-stressful, non-wedding day for them. Whew!!!!!!

TooMuchCake Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 8

The one I did last year (really ugly cake, but they were happy), it was set up in the couple's home. They had relatives all over the place, and the men kept hovering around watching me put strawberries on the cake. They were so cute about it, being older guys and all, that I kept needing "quality control" and "recruiting" taste testers. There were more than enough strawberries, so that wasn't a problem. The women kept trying to shoo the men out and telling them not to get sticky and leave the cake lady alone. It was fun!

Deanna

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 8

hmm thats very interesting
so what do they do after the wedding ceremony??

TooMuchCake Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 8

The "strawberry" reception was after a wedding on a cruise ship, so they had a small party on board for the guests who were able to come on the cruise with them, then had the bigger party for all their other friends a few weeks after they got home.

Deanna

pastrylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrylady Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 8

I booked two in the last month. I agree that the brides seem really relaxed about the details.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%