Glycerin/glucose Substitute

Decorating By Krystl Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 2:37pm by poshcakedesigns

Krystl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krystl Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:38am
post #1 of 5

what can I use for glucose and glycerine in the fondant recipes if I cannot find them? Knox is generally easy to find, but the others...
my first thought is that glucose is sugar, so either regular or powdered sugar, but glycerine?

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:56am
post #2 of 5

Glucose sub would be corn syrup not sugars.

Not sure if there is a sub for glycerin. Have you tried getting some at a pharmacy?

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 5

Krystl,
You are correct; glucose is a sugarâ¦one of many different sugars. It is not the same as granulated sugar.

If this is your first time making rolled fondant, you may want to try the marshmallow fondant recipe. The marshmallows already come loaded with most of the âchemicalsâ that you need for rolled fondant.

If you want to stick with gelatin-based rolled fondants, you can substitute Karo light corn syrup for the glucose. You will need to watch the water balance (add more powered sugar or add less water), since containers labeled âglucoseâ typically have less water than containers labeled âcorn syrupâ

Food-grade glycerin gives the fondant more flexibility and makes it less likely to crack or get 'elephant skin'. Having said that, some people have good results without adding glycerin.

I have read that liquid vegetable oil can be a compromise substitute for the glycerin in rolled fondant. Shortenings loaded with emulsifiers also help improve flexibility and discourage cracking. Be careful and do not add too much or you will create another set of problems.

Good luck!

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 5

DO the marshmallow....you may never want to try anything else.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 5

I now make marshmallow fondant and want use anything else. Way easier to make. And you can buy your ingredients at the grocery store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%