I Wanna Try A Kitchen Scale...but Where Do You

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 5:43pm by lecrn

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 20

buy a good one that isn't a arm and a leg?

Thank you so much!!

Christi

19 replies
adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:24am
post #2 of 20

I use a postal scale from Office Depot. It was less than $40. I figure 8oz is 8oz whether it is in packaging or ingredients. I then use a styrofoam bowl weight it first, then add my ingredients remembering to allow for whatever the bowl weighed. It's usually not even an ounce.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:58am
post #3 of 20

I got mine (specifically a Baker's scale) at Bed, Bath and Beyond. You can use one of their coupons for it!

I love it because it is designed for baking. Meaning you can weigh one ingredient, zero it out and then add your next ones without having to weight them all separately.

And it lets you measure in ounces, fluid ounces, grams and millileters.

Ounces are different from fluid ounces.

It's made by Salter.

wgoat5 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:59am
post #4 of 20

Thank you all sooo much!! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:19am
post #5 of 20

I got mine at Williams-Sonoma. Make sure it has a tare function. (Most do.) Then set your bowl (I mean your mixer bowl) on the scale, set it to zero and start throwing ingredients in.

I ONLY use a digital scale to measure ingredients. In school we had to use a balance scale, and it's good to know how to use one of those. But the digital is waaay easier.

wgoat5 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 10:38am
post #6 of 20

I was wondering about that Leahs... I was really scared about the balance scale....
Just never used one..

leah_s Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:52am
post #7 of 20

A balance scale just takes more math, therefore there is more chance to make a mistake.

For example, you first weigh your container, then add enough counter weight to balance back to zero. Then add the first ingredient, and balance back to zero, then add the second ingredient and balance back to zero, etc. Or if you know all the weights, then you can add the weights of the ingredients together and balance to that. Does your head hurt yet?

With a digital you put the bowl on the platform, press a button. Add your first ingredient, press a button. Add . .press a button. Easy.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 20

leahs,
What model/brand of scale did you buy? WS is always so expensive, but in the long run, if it's better I myself would rather go that route. Thanks.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:47pm
post #9 of 20

I have this one and love it!
http://www.scalesetc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31
They have a tone of colors (which I love!)
It goes to grams, pounds or ounces and has the tare feature. It is pretty basic and inexpensive but I have had no problems with mine.
Tracy

vickymacd Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 20

tbittner,
Where did you get yours from or did you order it through the site?
Thank you.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:18pm
post #11 of 20

I ordered mine through Amazon.com and got Free shipping because it was over $25. I got the orange ( I don't see that option through amazon any longer) but they have all different colors including chrome. It cleans up really quick and even comes with the batteries to run it.
Tracy

vickymacd Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks! Will check it out!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #13 of 20

I second the bed, bath, and beyond idea! That's where I got mine. A very nice digital scale with tare function, weighs English or Metric just in case! It was under $30 plus I used the 24% coupon!! One of my best purchases!! Now I can buy my PS, flour, etc. in bulk and save a bunch of money, but get exact measurements for once! icon_wink.gif

vickymacd Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:10pm
post #14 of 20

Thanks everyone even though it wasn't my original post! I'm supposed to be yard cleaning today, but instead I'm going to check out scales!! icon_smile.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:38pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

...Ounces are different from fluid ounces...It's made by Salter.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I only use it for dry ingredients.

leah_s Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:48pm
post #16 of 20

I think mine's a Salton also. DH bought it for me. Otherwise I would have used a coupon at BB & B.

And for the record, water, whole milk, whole eggs and whole butter are the same by volume and by weight. All other liquids are indeeed, different by volume and weight.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:48pm
post #17 of 20

Here's a link to the one I have (Also a Salter). http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13542210 Although I am quite sure it was on sale for $29.99 when I got it. But, even being $39.99... if you use a coupon it's only $30!! (Ok, now I'm getting my coupons mixed up... is BBB a 25%? I have like thirty of 'em in the kitchen... if I could get off my butt I'd look!)

Anyway, this one has been a dream for me. I highly recommend it!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:57pm
post #18 of 20

salter brand scales are very good. they are not too expensive i dont think....as i said they last a long time.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:17pm
post #19 of 20

I have the Salter Aquatronic "The Baker's Dream" scale. I got it at L&T w/a coupon. It was 59.99 (tag is still on box - where I store the blessed thing so I don't mess it up!). I LOVE IT! It measures liquid and dry and has the fl oz/oz/ml/lb/kg settings. Actually I just used it a few minutes ago for my late-gran's Lemon Dream Cake recipe.
Per the box: the scale supports up to 11 lbs! Meas in 'strain gauge' accuracy in 1/4 oz increments, large display, has the conversion chart (from recipe listed quantity to scale-able weights).
I was able to use one bowl to get everything in. Didn't touch a measuring cup (but I have plenty for when I don't feel like using the scale).
And it comes w/a long life battery - I have had mine for almost two years and no need to replace yet. I just wish I hadn't bought my now ex the dietary scale...ah hindsight...LOL!
Happy Baking!
Wendl

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:43pm
post #20 of 20

I got a one at WalMart for about $30. It's digital & measures grams & ounces. It also has a tare function.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%