Finding Supplies In Holland

Decorating By Homemade-Goodies Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 12:04pm by Homemade-Goodies

Homemade-Goodies Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 12

Hi, can anyone in Holland or EU help me with finding a few cake materials I still lack? I know Sligro and Makro have many items, but I'm still looking for Vanilla Extract (the real deal, not aroma/natuuridentiek), shredded coconut (not gemalen), and chocolate chips (hopefully Nestle's). Shipping these from US, retail no less, is costly as heck!

As well, which Dutch flour/bloem is most equivilant to the US cake flour? I've been using patent, but I'm not sure if the Patesserie (?) flour may be what I should have? Any hints??

Sure appreciate your help!!!

11 replies
cande Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:16am
post #2 of 12

If you want to make a quick trip to DE, you can find all of those things in the regular grocery stores in the baking aisle. The chocolate chips (Schoko Troepfchen) are from Schwartau though, not Nestle. I haven't seen Nestle available, and the other brands all come in small boxes, not in bags like in the US. (You'll need 2-3 boxes per Choc chip cookie recipe.)

Additionally, it is more difficult to find shredded coconut, the norm is the ground (gemahlen) type. But, if you go to a Karstadt or Kaufhof or larger grocery stores, you can find it (it's not cheap though). It's usually in a slender tall tin can instead of a bag like the ground kind.

Don't know if you've considered it or not, but you can fly to the US for as little as 200 Euro (Condor/TUI). With the USD/EUR course the way it is now, it'd definitely be worth it. You are allowed to bring back 2-50 lb suitcases (or Rubbermaid totes icon_wink.gif ) and a carry on...

Good luck in your search!

Homemade-Goodies Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks Cande! A trip to Germany or US wouldn't hurt my feelings any either! icon_biggrin.gif

miss_sweetstory Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 12

HI there,
You can get the vanilla (Nielsen-Massey and other brands) in the UK as well as dessicated coconut at any grocery. (If you are looking for sweetened shredded coconut, I have never seen that here.) Chocolate chips are also available in smaller packages. I have tried a few different brands, but none have the same flavor as Nestle chips.

I just returned from a short trip to the states, and I have to admit, I happily paid the extra bag charge on Northwest so that I could bring back supplies. Luckily, I remembered to bring a few things for the kids too...

Homemade-Goodies Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 12

Hey thanks miss_sweetstory!! I had to look up what desiccated meant, hahaha! But, yeah, I can find that, cubes, and ground-to-a-mist coconut here in NL.

I have a fellow wanting a re-creation of the world famous Ice Box Cafe Coconut Cake, that he had on vacation once in Miami. A daunting task in itself, but if I can't get the right kind of coconut, I'm doomed from the start!!

My mommy just may have to head to the Safeway in Washington State for me. icon_wink.gif

mezzaluna Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 12

I'm an ex-pat, and I've never seen that kind of coconut here. I've made a pretty good imitation by taking dessicated coconut and putting some of the coffee syrup (coconut, of course) in a bowl and mixing it all up so the coconut absorbs the syrup. Don't use too much syrup or it will become too wet. You can add more syrup if you need to.

I use Chocovic (ESP) chocolate and cocoa powder. It is good stuff, and they have a non-temp that is actually good, and they do chocolate chips. It has to be available in NL.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 12

Hi Mezzaluna, you're an expat, but not in Holland? Where did you land??

Thanks for the idea to experiment with the coconut syrup, maybe I can try powdered sugar too and see how close I can come....may be passable. icon_wink.gif

I've never heard of the Chocovic brand, but that doesn't mean a thing! haha What do you mean by non-temp?

(I love....and AGREE...with your ticker, btw.)

MikeRowesHunny Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:21am
post #8 of 12

Hey! Just answered your PM, but I note that you are also looking for chocolate chips. Silgro definitely has those made by Callebeut (beautiful great quality Belgian chocolate), in 2.5kg bags for about 15 euros. I buy 10kg bags from my bakery supplier for 40-50 euros depending on type (dark, milk, white etc). 10kg bags of chocolate chips are a bad thing to have hanging around if you want to lose weight though, I've probably eaten half the bag of milk chocolate chips myself in the last few months icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

Homemade-Goodies Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:27am
post #9 of 12

Thanks again! I think Sligro needs to hurry up with my card, there are too many wonderful things there for me! icon_biggrin.gif

You sure get a much better deal with your bakery supply....but of course there is that 'downside' of accessibility when trying to trim. Best of luck with that!!! icon_wink.gif

illini89 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:33am
post #10 of 12

i live in germany and have found a great web site They have a lot of wilton supplies. Try an asian market for the coconut. In germany cake flour is kuchenmehl.
hope that helps
good luck

MikeRowesHunny Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:36am
post #11 of 12

Here's the fat I was talking about, I can't think what else it would be used for?!

Oh, and I use Koopmans Cake Meel for my cakes - you can buy it in Albert Heijn/C1000, and it is actually cheaper there than buying in bulk at Silgro!!!

Homemade-Goodies Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 12:04pm
post #12 of 12

A big thank-you, ladies!!! Great ideas, hints and help(s)! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%