Storing Candy Melts

Decorating By heycupcake Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 1:01am by melissa043

heycupcake Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 6

what do you do when you have leftover candy melts that you dont want to throw away---i have lots....somehow i need to store it

??????? icon_confused.gif

5 replies
kimblyd Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 6

I'm no expert, but I use candy melts a lot. I just keep my leftovers in a zip-lock bag and put all the bags in an airtight plastic container.

I really don't know how long that stuff lasts, I think I read somewhere "several months". I mean how long does it sit on the shelf at the store before we take it home anyway?

I just checked some new bags I bought Friday and did not find an expiration date anywhere. It just says "store in a cool, dark place-do not freeze or refrigerate."

I guess just use your best judgement and try a piece, if it tastes okay and you don't die then it should be okay! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 6

I'm somewhat amazed to hear 'do not fz or refrig'. I have stored mine in the fzr when I knew I was not going to use them for a very long time. But for the most part just keep in a cool, dark place.
Even if they develope 'bloom' in storage, when you melt them it will disappear and be perfectly good to use.

melissa043 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 6

I worked at a chocolate shoppe for about 9 years and we carried the wafers. They tend to last about 6 months. And if they arent melting right when you goto use them, just add some new fresh ones to the mix and it should melt smoother. Hope that helps. usaribbon.gif

miny Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 6

I store mine in a zip lock bag in dark cool drawer they last for months. usaribbon.gif

melissa043 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:01am
post #6 of 6

Theres also something called Paramount Crystals. The description of what they do...

Melt 1or 2 tablespoons with one pound of coating for a creamer candy. Paramount Crystals also help make coating more fluid and easier to work with when coatings are difficult to melt...especially good to use in colored coatings or coatings more than 4 months old.

usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%