How Do I Extend A Box Cake Mix???

Decorating By skeeters Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 11:45pm by jenjens

skeeters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeeters Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 5

I have an order for a french vanilla wedding cake this summer. I bought a mix and french vanilla pudding I just don't know what all I need to add to make it go farther.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jacque

4 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 5

There are a few recipes on here in the recipes section with regard to extending/doctoring mixes, and making a box mix more durable for 3D cakes or carving. If you search the words extend, doctor, and durable, you'll come up with something.

Some people who add pudding mix to a cake mix just add another egg to offset the added dry ingredients.

You could always try the White Almond Sour Cream cake recipe on here, but using the French Vanilla box mix instead of just plain white cake mix. It makes a great cake and a ton of batter.

skeeters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeeters Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:11am
post #3 of 5

thank you so much I will look them up.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 5

For a very reliable wedding cake starting with a base mix, I would recommend the WASC:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4
(Expanded flavors version.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

The full recipe (using DH white cake mix) makes a tad over 14 cups, so it's great for larger or multiple cake layers. icon_smile.gif

HTH

jenjens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenjens Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 5

Just to add my 2 cents, not that I am anywhere near the vast knowledge of other CCers on this site.
Just my experience, I for one made a french vanilla doctored mix with FV pudding and I found it to be way to sweet.

as far as the WASC I am not a fan of the finished product. It was to bland for my plalette. But everyone likes it and requests it.

Maybe I'm just super picky. I still haven't found a good chocolate recipe either mix or scratch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%