Possibly Moving To Southwest Florida...

Business By tippyad Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 8:03pm by TheButterWench

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 8

My family is thinking of moving to Southwest Florida. Currently I bake cakes for friends and family and a few others. Word of mouth is my only advertisement. I'm a stay-at-home mom of 3 and I've only made 25 cakes this year, but was wondering if anyone knew of state, local laws that my limit my sales. Do I need to have a seperate kitchen? What guidelines must I meet? Can I bake out of my home? Sales taxes? And the questions go on and on and on..... If you know the answer to any of these questions or know where to direct me for answers I'd greatly appreciate it. Until then.....HAPPY CAKING!!!

7 replies
BarbRaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbRaz Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 8

You cannot bake out of your home in Florida. For more information you can call the Florida Department of Agriculture at 850-245-5520, they will send you a VERY LARGE packet with all of the information that you need. I live in Sarasota, where are you moving to in Southwest Florida?

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for that information, I just moved to Central Florida and was trying to find some info and had no idea where to start.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:50am
post #4 of 8

yep, you cannot bake out of your home or even a seperate kitchen that I'm aware of.

You need to have a commercial kitchen in a commercial location.

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the info!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 8

butterwench
does that apply only to 'residental' zoned areas?
what about if u live on agriculturally zoned land??

mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 8

no baking at all. Sorry You are not allowed to bake from home or rented kitchen.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpitrelli

no baking at all. Sorry You are not allowed to bake from home or rented kitchen.

No baking for a rented commercial and approved kitchen? Well then I have to close shop then. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%