What Is The Best Tasting Cake That I Can Carve???

Decorating By amytracy1981 Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 7:27am by MacsMom

amytracy1981 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 11

What is the best tasting cake that I can carve? I am not really a big fan of pound cake, but if that's what i have to use then I will.
I am making an incredible Hulk cake for my nephew next Saturday and was thinking about making it a carved cake that looked like his forearm and fist. Like the picture below. Any reccomendations for me? I have never done a carved cake before. Also how in the world am I gonna cover it in fondant without the fondant tearing on me??
Should I just do the fist and not the forearm?? What do you guys think??
LL

10 replies
MacsMom Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 11

I don't think it will be hard to cover in fondant, except for gathering around the bottom which can be helped by suspending the cake on a can before covering. Use the side of a straw or paint brush to help define the creases in fingers.

I add a tablespoon of glycerine or corn syrup to MMF to help with pliability, and I've discovered it works just as well when kneaded into Satin Ice. I've even accidentally found out that piping gel works just as well, as piping gel is basically thick corn syrup.

Maybe practice on a Rice Krispy treat model?

You can also try covering the arm and fist separately, and then stack the fist on top.

MacsMom Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 11

Oh, I forgot! For carving I use the WASC recipe but add a box of white chocolate pudding plus 12 oz melted white almond bark (or chocolate for chocolate cake). Don't use Duncan Hines for WASC cakes.

The WASC recipe can be used with any flavor cake/extract combo, but for chocolate I replace 2/3 c flour for 2/3 c cocoa powder and use chocolate pudding.

amytracy1981 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 11

MacsMom
Thanks!
What size box of pudding should I use? The big one or the small?
Thanks again!

amytracy1981 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 11

MacsMom
I just took a look at your photos and they are so awesome!
You are so talented! I love the duck cake thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you! The ducky is one of my favorites - I used the Wilton ducky pan for that one.

Use the small box of pudding. I tried using two small boxes as the recipe calls for two cake mixes, but that made it so moist that crumbs clung to the knife making it messy to carve. I also use vanilla coffee creamer for half the water in the recipe; for chocolate I use coffee instead of water.

illinikayaker Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 11

What is the WASC recipe and where can I find it? I'm also looking for a good recipe for doing carving "Duff Goldman style". Thanks!

MacsMom Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 11

After any, many trials, I've found that the best for Duff-style carving is the White Almond Sour Cream Cake with the 12oz melted chocolate (adding ONE box of pudding works fine, too).

Here is the recipe
http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

I use flavored yogurts (three 6 oz containers) in place of sour cream when I want to enhance a certain cake flavor, like lemon or orange. That's another reason to add a box of pudding - enhanced flavor. (For white cakes, use white chocolate pudding).

For the chocolate variation of WASC, I replace 2/3 c of the flour with 2/3 c cocoa powder and use 5 eggs + 2 egg whites... and chocolate pudding.

illinikayaker Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you! That sounds great!!

amytracy1981 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:07am
post #10 of 11

MacsMom
Thanks so much for your help! I changed my mind and decided to do Hulk's head. I used the recipe you gave me and it worked great. Ooooh and it was so yummy too. icon_razz.gif
Here it is:
LL

MacsMom Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 7:27am
post #11 of 11

Amazing!

Glad to hear the recipe worked just as well in someone else's kitchen icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%