An "i Hope I Haven't Been Out Of Line" Question

Decorating By jonicca Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 11:34pm by cakesondemand

jonicca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonicca Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 36

Hi everyone.
First I just want to thank everyone here for all the help you've given me since I found this site!!! I love reading through the forums and looking at the galleries. You all are SOOOO talented! I've done a few cakes but I haven't gotten the nerve to post them on CC yet, just a little intimidated. Three of the cakes I attempted, I got the ideas from cakes I saw on this site. It just dawned onme that some people might take offense to this. Is it ok to coppycat cakes from the gallery? Is there a certain protocal to follow? I respect you all so much. . .I just don't want to step on anyone's toes. Thank you.
Jocelyn

35 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 36

If you want to copy someone's cake exactly, it is always best to PM or email them to get their permission.

Even if I see a particular cake that inspires me, I would just make sure you give that person credit in the description section when you post your picture. Even if you just got general inspiration from the many many amazing cakes here on CC, it is nice to post a note to that effect. That way you cover your bases and give credit where credit is due. You are still showing your own work, but it is nice to give credit to the ideas/inspiration.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 36

I've done this many times and would be flattered if someone did the same! I always try to give credit where it's due though. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

namaman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
namaman Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 36

I agree... Just be sure to give the person a mention in your description if you used their idea to jump start your cake design. Or definitely PM them to make sure they don't mind trying to copy their cake.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 36

and don't be afraid to post your pictures! We want to see them! icon_smile.gif

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 36

OMG-Just by posting THIS i am sure you have offended somebody! LOL! People will take 2 different sides on this, just grow a thick skin early icon_smile.gif I am teasing, people are very oppinionated and EVEN some of your own ideas might have been done by someone at some time in the past, but by all means POST YOUR PICS!! If you want, maybe put the person whom you got the idea from, generally people with a keen eye know who's cake idea is who's original. But putting someones name makes people happy from what I have read. But just expect to offend someone or be offended-we are majority women after all! LOLOLOL! This is a fun place to get ideas and view others work! DON'T DEPRIVE US OF YOURS! We all have to start out somewhere! Happy Baking!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 36

Welcome to CC. I feel most people on CC do not mind if you use an idea from their creations. It's nice if you give credit to the person who inspired you when you post your picture. I for one would be flattered if anyone liked my work enough to want to make a similar cake. The ideas and tips that come from the decorators on this forum are endless. If I hadn't found CC, I'm not sure I would have continued my hobby. I haved learned so much more here than I could have ever imagined. Who would have ever guessed you could make people out of fondant? lol.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 36

I personally wouldn't care unless you copied my cake exactly. A lot of times you save and save cake pictures and then forget who they where made by.

I know that I have a particular file on my computer called "cakes that inspire me" and within that file I have them sorted by color or theme not by who made them.

Sorry guys!

Also, there isn't really much that is new out there and I am a horrible commentor. lol

So much so that I don't really look at much more than the cakes that wiz by the home page and if something really strike me I pm them my comment . My computer goes nutters when I try to comment.

but, post your photos away , no body is going to jump on you.

Unless you post their photos as yours everyone is here to inspire everyone else and it's a great sharing and caring site

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 36

I, too, have saved so many pictures I don't remember where they came from. Most of the work I see on here is so amazing I could never copy it, but I am inspired to try new things all the time. Thanks to all the mentors out there that are so willing to share.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 36

I have a TON of saved favorites, and many that I have moved into a persona file of cakes I want to attempt or design ideas I like. Of those, I did make sure to include the name of the original CC member so I wouldn't forget to thank them.

I would be flattered if someone mentioned my name as one who inspired them, but I wouldn't be upset if it was an obvious copy and no mention of me was listed because of the fact that there are so many cakes here and, like you and myself before I realized I should, many of us print them out without thinking to take note of the name.

I have seen a couple members rudely comment about how a cake was their design, so I've been careful not to step on toes...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 36

most of us are immensely flattered to have one of our cakes inspire someone else. General protocall is to cite "inspired by .... " when you post the pic.

I, and many of us on here, do not require that you PM for permission ahead of time. If I didnt' want my cakes copied, I wouldn't put them on-line. So if by some slim chance, you happen to like one of mine .... go for it! thumbs_up.gif

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:10pm
post #12 of 36

" So if by some slim chance, you happen to like one of mine "

that's a real hoot! icon_lol.gif You're way too modest indydebi! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:46pm
post #13 of 36

yummy, that is so kind of you to say so and I SO appreciate the compliment, but seriously, I think my cakes are SO plain compared to the creations of art I see go thru that gallery every day. You guys are slowly coaching me to come out of my box and expand my skills .... and I'm doing it in baby steps, I think!

But I'm no where near the talent I see on here all the time.

jonicca Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:12pm
post #14 of 36

Thank you guys! You all are so awesome!! I have posted a couple of pics on other sites and I always stated when it was an "inspired by..." cake. Now I'm going to go talk myself into putting some of my cakes online!

jonicca Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:56am
post #15 of 36

Okay. . .I jumped of the cliff. . .I went ahead and posted my cake pictures on CC. icon_redface.gif I'm freakin' out a little, but I'll get over it. . .please don't hurt me. ouch.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:10am
post #16 of 36

I looked at your pics (LOVE the bookworm cake btw), but you have your comments turned off so I couldn't leave you any cake "love" icon_wink.gif If you click on the "My Forum Info" link on the left, you can turn comments on thumbs_up.gif

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:13am
post #17 of 36

Oh Please! Your cakes are adorable and the Bookworm one in particular is great! I'm really new to cake decorating but the support here for us beginners is amazing. When perusing this site my husband was astonished that people on this website are so kind and supportive JUST for the sake of kindness. How lucky are we to have such wonderful mentors and kind souls encouraging us even when we fall on our face!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:28am
post #18 of 36

to be honest i have soo many cakes saved on my compter and i dont knwo whos they are. i also look at tons of cakes everyday so of course its hard to remember where you have seen a certain decoration or design so its hard to credit someone. so i dont usually do it and im sure it makes some people mad but theres not much i can do about it unless i start writing what i like about ever cake i see and then writing down there name...then when im ready to post a cake pic go through the huge list and thank every single person that i might have taken a tiny detail from

dont be afraid to post your pictures im sure everyone would love to see them!

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:28am
post #19 of 36

jonica, I love your lipstick cake!! who knows... I might be using that idea soon! if it's ok icon_biggrin.gif

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:37am
post #20 of 36

I agree. I find it hard to credit people. There are sooo many cakes I take ideas from and unless I want to put some serious effort into researching who did what and writing it all down, I'm not going to do it.

I would hope people wouldn't get their panties in a bunch over it. If so, bring on the PM. I'll be sure to add something to that description... icon_twisted.gif

If anyone feels the need to copy my cakes...go for it. No need to thank me. icon_biggrin.gif

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:39am
post #21 of 36

ITA! WJK i dont mind if anyone copies my cakes and doesnt credit me. them doing my design is all the credit i need

jekizer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jekizer Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:43am
post #22 of 36

I absolutely love the Teddy Bears and the Bookworm!!!

I have been on here for quite some time and have certain cake pictures that I have NOT posted because I couldn't remember who did the originals. I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. It's nice to know that some people don't mind. I have found TONS of inspiration on this site.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:47am
post #23 of 36

The only thing that would upset me is if they did my design better! And I wouldn't be mad, I'd just feel like a loser. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mrsbink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbink Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:47am
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjk

I agree. I find it hard to credit people. There are sooo many cakes I take ideas from and unless I want to put some serious effort into researching who did what and writing it all down, I'm not going to do it.

I would hope people wouldn't get their panties in a bunch over it. If so, bring on the PM. I'll be sure to add something to that description... icon_twisted.gif

If anyone feels the need to copy my cakes...go for it. No need to thank me. icon_biggrin.gif

well Wjk, while I really like your cakes(esp. the Dr. Seuss one!) what I would really like to copy is your avatar! that is about the coolest one I've seen! LOL, I won't though....I'll just go find my own... icon_cool.gif

Wjk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wjk Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:49am
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjk

well Wjk, while I really like your cakes(esp. the Dr. Seuss one!) what I would really like to copy is your avatar! that is about the coolest one I've seen! LOL, I won't though....I'll just go find my own... icon_cool.gif

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:52am
post #26 of 36

jonnicca!! I have just had a very quick look at the cakes that you have posted.
What are you worried about girl?? From what I can see they are beautiful...
Haven't enlarged them yet, (got to go out shortly) so when I get back I will come back and have a closer look. But, from what I saw they all look stunning!!
And, BTW, nobody will "hurt you" as from what I have experieced since joining CC, we are all one big happy family!!

Welcome to the world of cakes!!

jonicca Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:20am
post #27 of 36

WOW! You guys are AWESOME!!! Thanks for the tip Amia, I turned the comments on. And thank you ALL for the support. Thats why I love this site. They should make the "addictive" disclaimer much larger. I seriously have to have my CC fix everyday!

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:46pm
post #28 of 36

Your cakes are great. I'll just thank you in advance for the inspiration icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:18pm
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

The only thing that would upset me is if they did my design better! And I wouldn't be mad, I'd just feel like a loser. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! busted a gut laughing at this one! OMG, it's so true! Me, too!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:40pm
post #30 of 36

hurt, hurt, hurst so good. The cakes are great~!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%