How To Make A Daisy

Decorating By kinicto Updated 6 Apr 2008 , 12:14pm by wgoat5

kinicto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kinicto Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 15

I am having the hardest time making a daisy. Can anyone explain how to do it that is different from the Wilton method? I am left handed and don't know if that is what is making it so difficult!! icon_cry.gif

14 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 15

you should be able to make daisies no matter if you're left or right handed.
here's a guide from wilton.com...hope this helps. icon_smile.gif
http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/daisy.cfm

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 15

I'm right handed and had a hard time. I haven't made them since I took the course. When I took course 4, some of the ladies were reminiscing about daisy problems and they told me a trick, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Sorry.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 15

I love to make fondant daisies. They are sooo easy. Just use the daisy cutter flatten it out a little with a small rolling pin. use the ball and veining tool and slightly press down from the inside and drag out towards the end of the petals. then put a little small almost like a squished skittle shaped fondant in the middle and you are done. hope this helps.

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 15

What exactly is the problem? What step is the most challenging for you? I think this is one of the easiest flowers to make so I think I can help if you give me some details, OK?

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:39am
post #6 of 15

Hi - I'm a lefty -- please feel free to contact me (PM) if you ever want any help with flowers. I'm not the best, but I've figured out most of the Wilton flowers.

Also, some folks enjoy fondant more, so perhaps give that a try too! icon_smile.gif

kweenmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenmommy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:57am
post #7 of 15

The daisy had me in tears. icon_sad.gif I think it had to do with the number of petals.

sweetlikepie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlikepie Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:12am
post #8 of 15

I had trouble making a daisy until I realized I was using the tip backwards icon_redface.gif Once I realized it went from fat to skinny there was no stopping me. icon_lol.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:13am
post #9 of 15

Daisies are easy if you hold your tip at the right angle and almost flat to your nail. rememember to stop your preassure when the wide of the tip is in the center of the nail. you should have 12 pedals when finished
Hope this helps

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 2:52am
post #10 of 15

I always have issues with my daisies too! I think they're so pretty but I can't ever get them to work. They're supposed to be so simple but I can't do it.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:13am
post #11 of 15

Count me in as one who had issues...I loved my fondant daisies, though. I still wish I could get the BC ones right, though.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:14am
post #12 of 15

Count me in as one who had issues...I loved my fondant daisies, though. I still wish I could get the BC ones right, though.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #13 of 15

I don't know if this picture helps any -- I'm a lefty, and I hold the bag almost straght up, but the top is slightly to the left.

The wide tip is out (to the outer edge of the flower). I also slide the top a little to give it the "fatter" look, which I find helps it stay together better (I use butter-cream for daisies). The less you slide, the thinner the petal, which some people might prefer.

I don't get too stressed about the # of petals (I grow lots of daisies in my garden...and they are all a little different too!) icon_smile.gif

I don't know if it is the middle that is causing trouble? Let me know, I am very happy to help a fellow lefty!
LL

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #14 of 15

Hi to all making fondant daisies! Just a tip I would like to share: take your grass tip and "texturize" the yellow center to make it look even more realistic! Just imprint lightly all over - it looks great.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:14pm
post #15 of 15

that's a awesome tip havingfun!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%