Just Learned A Very Valuable Lesson

Business By sicookie Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 1:00am by littlecake

sicookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sicookie Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 11

OK, so it's my first paying cookie job. One of my son's classmates' mom who is an aquaintance, asked me to do cookie favors for her son's christening. 70-75 crosses. She told me she wanted ribbons with the baby's name printed on them, so I had those printed up and they cost $28.00. I drew up some designs and dropped them in her mailbox to choose from. That was 2 weeks ago (I told her I'd need about 2 weeks for the order). Meantime I've been baking crosses and freezing them. I hadn't heard from her so I called her today to finalize the design and colors and she told me she won't be needing them!! I was dumbfounded. She said her SIL got favors. And she's sorry that she should have called. I didn't lose it (I wanted to ), I just explained that I had the ribbons printed up already. She did say she'd pay me for them. I really don't want to make a huge deal because it's a small town and our kids will be together for a long time and we have mutual frieds. I can use the crosses for another job next month, but from now on--I'll be getting a deposit.

10 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 11

Some people are absolutely clueless, and this lady qualifies! Sorry for your frustration!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 11

which is why my clients are responsible for obtaining any ribbon, toppers, florals, etc for the decor for their order.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 11

Wow, sorry to hear about that. Glad that she is paying you for the ribbons, and you can still use the cookies, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 11

I'm glad your experience is not 'worst case scenario' as it could have been and that your client is going to pay for the ribbon. Getting that written agreement is KEY so that one has at least a little something to back them up. icon_razz.gif

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

which is why my clients are responsible for obtaining any ribbon, toppers, florals, etc for the decor for their order.

This is a great idea. It also puts the hassle of finding the perfect ribbon back on them.

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 11

The oven is not turned on, nor do I buy any supplies before receiving payment!!

sicookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sicookie Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 11

All of you are right. And as I said from now on I get a deposit up front, but this was a acquaintance. I don't know, maybe its just me, but I would never do that to someone especially somebody I have to see at school functions and kids sports events all the time.

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 11

I think it sounds as though you are handling it wonderfully. You deserve a good pat on the back!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 11

I just went back in to see any other replies and thought I'd caution that sometimes it family and acquaintances who take the most advantage. I sometimes think they least appreciate the effort that goes into accomplishing a cake, cookies, etc. They sometimes tend to be the ones who think you can whip out any last minute project they request and become annoyed when you try to explain that there are others who thought about requesting your services long in advance. I treat them all the same in terms of "business." I put everything down in writing, and while I might not request a deposit of them, I do have in writing what their expectations are and what mine are. It just never hurts to have things down on paper...

And, of course, I'm not saying allll friends and family take advantage, but I've read plenty of forum posts that are long rants about those members who have had it happen to them.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Yeah. me too...it just makes it easier all around....plus they get the joy of going after the stuff.

Don't feel bad we all learn by experiance, I'm still learning stuff all the time....You seem to be taking it well...GOOD FOR YOU!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%