Stacked Cakes: How Do You Know?

Decorating By Amymnn Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm by kettlevalleygirl

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 20

Hi everyone, hoping you can help me with a question. I have a two tier cake to do for a bridal shower, Two 10 inch rounds on bottom, Two 8 inch rounds on top. I know I have to stabilize these cakes, but I'm wondering how you decide when to use what method. When is a simple dowel rod method best and when it is best to use seperator plates? I've seen it done where the seperator plates are used to control servings of a tiered cake that has different flavors so they don't "blend" but what other factors are considered for the best overall look and stabilization of stacked cakes? Your advice is really appreciated, I've been wondering about this for a long time.

Have a great day!

19 replies
jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 20

In my case it's a matter of preference. I used to used wooden dowel rods with one long sharpened dowel down the center of all the stacked cakes. Now I'm using the sps system after reading rave reviews about it for Indydebi and many others. Now that I've used both, I think I'll never go back to wooden dowels again. I don't have to worry abut cutting the dowels and ending up with uneven sizes, or a crooked cake. I just push the legs down and that's it. I also feel it makes unstacking the cake so much easier, but that's just my opinion.

i don't know if that answered your question.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 20

I agree that it's a matter of preference for each decorator. There will be arguments for each side.

I actually prefer wooden dowels. Inexpensive, you don't have to worry about them returning anything, and displaces very little cake.

jessienj Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 20

That's the only thing I don't like about the sps. I feel it does displace more cake than the dowels, but then again, on the bigger tiers, with the sps you're still only using 4 pillars whereas you'd use a lot more wooden dowels.

I think the reason I personally like the sps more is because the pillars are precut to exactly 4 inches, which forces me to be more consistent with my cake heights. That's always been one of my problems, so that was my solution. Also, I was constantly running out of wooden dowels at the wrong time. Since I get the sps system back from the client, I don't have tht problem anymore.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 20

I use the fat bubble tea straws on party cakes and I love them. They are so easy to cut even and give you a very stable cake.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 20

Sugarshak , whats bubble straws?? Thanks

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 20

very fat plastic straws used in bubble tea shakes. cheap all over the net; google them

HTH

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 11:49am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

very fat plastic straws used in bubble tea shakes. cheap all over the net; google them

HTH

Thanks will do, cant wait for my Dvd to arrive

lolabunny7178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolabunny7178 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:21pm
post #9 of 20

what is the sps system? I tried searching for it but didn't come up with any results, and where do you get it?

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:42pm
post #10 of 20

I would like to know where to buy this system too...in Canada.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:50pm
post #11 of 20

I use the bubble straws too, for two and three tier cakes. Sugar shack, have you ever used them for anything taller?

Just google bubble tea straws.....very available and cheap. You wouldn't think they would hold because they are so bendable, but it's just a matter of physics. They are stronger than you think.

woodthi32 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 20

BTW sugarshack. I have your DVD, and I have come a long way in my buttercream skills because of you. THank you!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amymnn

I've seen it done where the seperator plates are used to control servings of a tiered cake that has different flavors so they don't "blend" but what other factors are considered for the best overall look and stabilization of stacked cakes?

What exactly do you mean by "blend"?? Are you not putting the top tier on any type of cake board/separator plate?? The top tiers should ALWAYS be on something, not just sitting directly on the cake above it. Whether it be a cake board on dowels, with or without a separator plate, or some other type of system.

I second Leahs, the Bakery Craft SPS system is awesome, I charge a deposit to get my plates and pillars back, and the headache of that totally outweighs the headache of dowels to me. You can also just charge an equipment fee and not worry about getting them back.

woodthi32 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm
post #14 of 20

so, ith the sps, don't you still have to cut the supports? Are they jacks? Anyone who has used jacks, feel free to chime inicon_smile.gif
Dowels make me crazy, so I use bubble straws....but for big cakes, I am looking for something else......info is great!

woodthi32 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 20

so, ith the sps, don't you still have to cut the supports? Are they jacks? Anyone who has used jacks, feel free to chime inicon_smile.gif
Dowels make me crazy, so I use bubble straws....but for big cakes, I am looking for something else......info is great!

woodthi32 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 1:47pm
post #16 of 20

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 2:47pm
post #17 of 20

There is also another good system out, it is a little pricey but well worth it for me. I live in a small town and getting my stuff back is not problem. They are the stress free supports. The legs screw on and so you can make it what ever height you need. Love them. I also just charge a flat $25.00 rental fee for them and tell the brides that it is a guarantee the cake will not fall. They don't mind the fee then. But this is my opinion.

jessienj Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #18 of 20

with the sps I have found 2 brands, Bakery Crafts and Coast. You can purchase Bakery Craft brand from either Global or Oasis and the pillars come in 4inch and also 9inch I believe. The coast brand can be purchased from Cakedeco and their pillars come in graduated sizes ranging from 2inchs to 5+ I think. Those are great if you need different heights or if your average cake is not 4inches tall. I have both systems and I like them both for different reasons.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:01pm
post #19 of 20

I was recently turned on to the SPS system by another CC'r...can't remember her name. This system is made for customers who prefer to pick up their own stacked cakes. So far I LOVE it. I've transported a 3 tier topsy turvy cake with it to a locations about 15 miles away. Worked so much better than the dowels. You can purchase the 4" tall pillars or you can purchase the 9" scored ones and cut to your preferred height. Global Sugar Arts just started carrying them but if you want to purchase in larger quantities for lower prices www.oasissupply.com has them.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #20 of 20

Where are they sold in Canada??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%