Major Elmo Help Needed

Decorating By smbegg Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 3:18am by dandelion56602

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 10

I am doing an ELmo B-Day party for my DD 2nd birthday. She see the pictures of the 3-d Elmo that sits upright and loves it! Can anyone hElp me with how to support the head so the whole thing doesn't come tumbling down? I understand what pans to use, I am just worried about construction. Do I just put the ball pan on top of the wonder mold? Where do I put cardboard cirlces in for support? Under the head?

Also, to get the elmo red, will the frosting taste aweful? If you use the liquid americolor, does it effect the tate like Wilton?

And lastly the cookies. I see these great Elmo cookies on this site. How does everyone make them. I cannot find a cookie cutter for the life of me. I would love to make them. Any advise?

Thanks
Stephanie

9 replies
AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 10

I can't help you with construction, but I use Americolor Super Red. I don't think it affects the taste because you don't have to use as much, and it would be a nice, bright, vibrant Elmo red!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 10

With all the elmo stuff on here, no one has any suggestions?

Stpehanie

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 10

I can't help you on the 3D Elmo because the one I did was a FBCT but the 3D ones are cute...

I used Americolor Super Red, starting with white icing, and it works great. You can get a nice true red and you don't have to use that much so it does not affect the taste of the icing (will turn mouths red though...just a hazard of any richly colored icing).

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 10

I actually used a styrofoam ball for the head that way it would stay supported with a dowel down the center. As for the cookies you can just use an oval or cut out circles and slightly shape them into ovals......perfect little elmo heads.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 10

if there is a 3D elmo cake on here that you like, i would pm the person and ask how they did it. i do it all the time. everyone has always been nice and answered me back , quickly. i wish i could tell you how it is done , but i have never done one .

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 10

Not sure about the construction but I did see at my local store that Wilton has a tasteless 'red' icon_cry.gif and as my luck would have it they were sold out.

lujauna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lujauna Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 10

I just sent you a pm on how I did my elmo cookies. Guess I should have put it here instead. Sorry

anitadoskas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anitadoskas Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 10

lujauna, I would love to have the directions for your elmo cookies. They are so sweet!!!!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:18am
post #10 of 10

Smbegg, I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you on how mine turned out. We've been cleaning up from the party & now I'm out of town this weekend. But this is what I did.

After the 8", the the doll cake, then the ball----I supported each tier w/ dowels, I sharpened a dowel rod & hammered that baby through every layer. I was terrified b/c my TT cake toppled doing this, but it did fine. I went all the way through to the foam core board & it held fine.

One thing I would say DO NOT do is use the freakin' grass tip! My hands killed me & cramped up so bad, then I slept in wrist braces for the week after. He did look great & too, it dries soooo hard that it falls off when you cut it. I would probably go w/ a grass tip at least.

For the color. I used Wilton No Taste & Christmas & Red Red. About 1/2 of CR & RR then about 2 bottles of the No Taste. I was surprised how much it did take. I wish I could post a pic, but if you want to see you can pm me. I'll give you my myspace, but you'll have to request to be added--my profile's private & I don't think you can see pics w/out being added.

Sorry I've rambled!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%