I'm A Little Confused, Could Someone Please Help?

Business By samymccray Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 10:07pm by CarolAnn

samymccray Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 9

I've had someone tossing around the idea for me to do their wedding cake. I have done quite a few specialty cakes and this would be my first wedding. We first talked about 2 months ago and she only wanted me to do the grooms cake so I asked if she wanted to do a testing or get together and discuss what she wants and basicly she has been procrastinating (I'm trying to make this long story short). I got a call yesterday from her mom who somehow had the impression that "I" was supposed to contact her to schedule something. Anyhow, she said she wants me to do the shower cake so they can see how it goes, but they wanted to set up a tasting for this Sunday (AHHH) because the shower is April 19th. ( I wouldn't ordinarily do a tasting for a shower cake but if it will get the wedding cake I couldn't say no. OK now here's where I'm confused. If I'm meeting them for a tasting and they are satisfied do I schedule the wedding cake then also? or do I plan this for another meeting later? When I talked to the bride she mentioned that she would have photos of her dress (for the wedding cake) and a photo for the grooms cake with her also. I don't have all of my information ready like contract and brocure I want to have with my flavor and pricing information yet, but I don't want to mess it up either. Should I hurry and get all of this ready? I just started telling everyone that I'm planning on doing this as a business and wasn't really expecting to have everything ready so soon, my website isn't even done yet, lol.
I am so confused as to what to do and I don't want to screw up. This is my first tasting, wedding, and consult for someone who isn't a friend or family member but no pressure. lol I'm shaking just thinking about it.
ANY advice will be a huge help at this point.

Thanks,

Samantha

P.S.
I've spent the past day in school here on CC and honestly have learned so much. Thank You to all of you who posted information of cake tastings, I've learned alot and think I have a pretty good idea as to how to go about doing the tasting part of it.

8 replies
Smckchat Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 9

I would think to have everything ready. And bring up the conversation regarding the wedding cake. And since they're already there, you might as well get the plans going.

Good Luck!
Susie

mrsw Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 9

There are soooo many talented ladies and gents on this site that have done what you want to do.
My two cents:
If it were me, I'd have as much put together as I could so IF the conversation does turn to the wedding/grooms cake you can have a form to sketch on, a basic contract to use, flavors available and a portfolio to show your work. It would seem the bride and MOB want to "check out your work" on the shower cake - logical - But if they are not ready to commit to the wedding cake at the tasting, fine, make sure you give them a deadline date so this last minute for a cake does not happen. Also make sure all are clear who is contacting whom. Good luck and don't forget to post pictures[/u]

daveilg Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 9

First off, RELAX!! Take one step at a time. The tasting could lead to the rest of the cakes. You should present everything as though you are doing all of them. Let them taste the flavors then ask if they want to talk about designs for the cakes. Lead them but let them feel as though they are in control. If you can have your contracts ready or at least have that info ready and "blame" the print shop for being behind if necessary. If they are interested in a planning session then go with it. If not ask them to call you when they can schedule that meeting. Again JUST RELAX customers can sense fear icon_lol.gif Go with it and most important make it fun for you, not a job!!!! Also if you need some sample contracts let me know, I have several to use or get ideas from.

Good Luck

Dave

tonimarie Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 9

icon_smile.gif I just looked at your cakes--WOW. You do an awesome job-you have no reason to worry. If the bride doesn't ask you to do her cake I think she is crazy! Good luck.

samymccray Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you tonimarie that is so sweet!

Dave If you could send me one or two basic contracts that would be great, I have been gathering information for them from what I've been reading but it is a work in progress.

I just need to shake off the nerves by sunday

Thanks

CarolAnn Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 9

If it were me I'd get copies of whatever Dave has to offer (sorry Dave, it sound's like I'm a real user!) to have a contract on hand, get the samples ready, then sit back and breathe. You don't have to stick with that contract forever but it'll make you look and feel more organized and professional. I'd make sure it states whatever you feel about when the balance is to be paid in full. In mine I will have a date after which no changes can be made.

If I was the MOB I'd have you make the shower cake for the purpose of tasting, maybe in two flavors, and decide about you from there. When is the wedding? Good luck! I hope they're pleasant and easy to deal with.

daveilg Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 9

No problem CarolAnn. That's why I keep copies of what I have. If we can't help each other, what good is being a member!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

CarolAnn Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks Dave, and I totally agree! It's what I love about this site. So many good people with a willingness to share.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%