Can I Fix This?

Decorating By shannyrae23 Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 3:08am by ceshell

shannyrae23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannyrae23 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 4

So, I baked a 14 inch square cake and when I went to take it out of the pan and put it on the cooling rack, it split in half. I quickly stuck it together and decided I was going to use it because I didn't have time to make another layer. Am I dreaming, or can I fix this with some patience and icing?

3 replies
AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 4

I would try to seal it up with some icing, and use it as my "top" layer so it wouldn't be weight-bearing. Is it going to be tiered?

shannyrae23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannyrae23 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 4

WEll, it will be tiered, but not in the middle of the cake. It will be tiered in one corner with a six inch square plate with cupcakes on top. It dipped in the middle, but I'll cover it with icing and the dowels will be there to support it. I think that I will just glue it with icing and put the tier on the opposite side of the crack, as I broke it more to one side than the other!! Thanks!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:08am
post #4 of 4

I think you'll be fine. I've definitely done that trick. I just used it as the bottom layer of my tier, added icing for filling (at least a crumb coat of icing for good adhesion, then I used a normal filling e.g. raspberry puree or whatever, put it on top of the icing layer) and then stacked with the upper layer. Nobody ever knew the difference. Whew!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%