Rant Of The Day: Subject Line

Decorating By kwdonlon Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 6:30am by ceshell

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 12

Is anyone else exasperated by lack of detail in the Subject: line? It makes me crazy every time I see just "HELPPPP!!!" or "How Much to Charge?" or "Need Ideas" or "How Do I...." without any thing following it.

It bothers me because 1. Whenever I try to find a post that I've read before and want to look at again I can't find it, even when using the "search" function; and 2. Sometimes I only have time to read posts that I'm interested in.

Please...for the sake of others doing a search on a topic, please, please, please be more descriptive in the Subject: line. You know who you are. You may have fewer views, but at least they'll be gooduns.

::climbing off the soap box::

Thanks and have a nice day.

icon_smile.gif

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 12

Yes, I'm right there with you. This site doesn't charge per word or letter so it's ok to use them.

Things like "help needed" (that's why we're on here ... we all need help); "question" (99% of the posts are a question);

Dot-dot-dot subjects are very frustrating and I'm sure the OP would get many more responses if they would use a subject line of "how do you make gumpaste flowers?" instead of "how do you ......?"

Ironically, many of these same folks who use non-information subject lines, then also add posts such as "Anybody?" or a complaint because no one "wants" to help them.

When I see a "How do you......?" line, I always get this big urge to respond with ".....finish a sentence?" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

But before anyone gets their knickers in a knot, this is not a life or death thing and it's just a pet peeve, not a complaint or a reprimand or a knock against anyone who does it. Just an educational thread to help us be more informative when we post our comments and questions.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 12

I agree, most posts would more likely get (faster) responses if the subject was clear right away!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 12

I understand this one. I use subject lines to see if I want to read the post. If it is a topic I don't really need to know I know I can avoid it. It is like if it is a post on IMBC, I couldn't answer the question because I haven't made it. Yes I can learn something from the post, but if you don't have alot of time to look at posts, you want to read the ones that go with what you do.

Of course like many of my other pet peeves I have, I've learned that on message boards you are always going to have things that annoy you. You can either let them get to you or let them go. Most of the time I can let them go. icon_smile.gif And when I can't, that is a sign I need to take a break from that board or the computer in general.

kwdonlon Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #5 of 12

Yes, yes, yes....that's what I'm talking about. It's not a life or death situation, but it should would be helpful.

TexasSugar -- most of the times I can let it go. It was especially glaring during the Cake Central server down time and the load time was very slow; and a matter of common sense. It makes it so much easier when doing a search on a particular topic if the subject line is clear.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:12am
post #6 of 12

I for one am probably famous for this and I will come forth and admit my shame... icon_redface.gif

I am usually in a hurry or excited and just want to get out what I need or want to say in a quick manner and I hereby promise to be more detailed in my subject lines and I will word my questions within my post in more detail also.

Forgive my forum fopaux...

with humble thanks...

icon_rolleyes.gif

kwdonlon Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:57am
post #7 of 12

DessertDiva --

<smooches smooches smooches > until you holler "Gak! Stop Already!"

icon_lol.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 12

IndyDebi just a quick thing for you.....

Hi to you! icon_lol.gif

Sorry I couldn't resist! icon_razz.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 12

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Carolyn, you're a crazy lady! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:17am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwdonlon

DessertDiva --

<smooches smooches smooches > until you holler "Gak! Stop Already!"

icon_lol.gif

LOL...I now am UBER ANAL about making sure my post and subject line are inticing enough to want to read...

Its almost as bad as writing a paper for college...hahahahaha

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:42am
post #11 of 12

Thank you for posting this -- I was just thinking it myself. BTW, indydebi I have a cushion on my office chair which makes my knotted knickers much more bearable!!!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:30am
post #12 of 12

Haha usually I have the opposite problem, I practically post my entire question in the subject line. It always cuts me off and then I have to go back and edit it to fit.

I do hear ya though. I admit, my favorite, too, is (and I quoteicon_smile.gif "How do I..." especially when it's in the How Do I forum! icon_biggrin.gif

Debi I know where your concern is coming from after all of the fire and brimstone from the infamous "pet peeves" thread of last year. Of course this is not a "I hate these people and think they're terrible" kind of whiney peeve!! It's just a humorous way to remind folks to be a little more specific in their subject line.

dessertdiva, now that you're a changed woman, we're gonna be WATCHING you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%