Question About A Communion Cake..

Decorating By marion123 Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 12:49pm by Michele25

marion123 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 7

Hello Everyone.. I'm makinga communion cake in a few weeks and I'm going to make a cross cake from a cake mold and put it on top of a sheet cake..
Anything special I need to know or do? I'm thinking I need to frost the sheet cake, and then frost the cross cake by itself and then just put the cross cake on top of the sheet cake and decorate.. Correct or am I wrong?
any hints I need to know about?

thanks again!!

6 replies
ccr03 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 7

Sounds right to me! I would be some straws as a support though.

marion123 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 7

what do mean? You think the cross cake would cave into the sheet cake?
How do I do the straws?

Thanks

ccr03 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:50am
post #4 of 7

Well, I'd put the the cross on it's on board. Frost the sheet cake normally and then stick some straws in the sheet cake (as dowels) for support.

I would do it just to be on the safe side AND so the cross isn't laying directly on the frosting of the sheet cake, opening the possiblity of the frosting sticking to the board.

I hope that all made sense icon_smile.gif

marion123 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 10:09am
post #5 of 7

thanks... I'll let you guy kno how it tuns out..

Thanks so much

kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 7

You can do as suggested but also one can go 4-5" high w/o using support. So if your sheet is 2" tall, and the cross is 2" you do not need support under it. If the sheet is 4" (dbl layer) then it would be a good idea to put in some straw support. I would put one at each end of the cross (total 4) - about 2" in from the ends.

Michele25 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 7

I had made a baptism cake a few years ago and put a cross cake on top of a sheet cake. I did exactly what ccr03 had described and put a few supports (dowels) under the cross cake just to be on the safe side. Each cake was frosted separately, then stacked. Then I put the put the flowers on and added the borders last. Here is a photo:
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%