I'm Tired Of Losing Sleep!! Background For Cake Using Pvc

Decorating By cubcakes Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 3:16pm by deanwithana

cubcakes Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 6

OK...here goes.
This is a showpiece for a competition. I have a piece that is a 3' x 4' ft rectangle framed with PVC pipe to use as a "backdrop" behind my cake but will attached to the actual cake.
My dilemma : What material or medium can I use to use to fill in the space within the framework to use as the backdrop? It must cover the entire area, attach to the pvc piping, and the entire finished piece has to be transported flat for several hours as a separate piece because of van height restrictions.

Does anyone know how this "back drop" comes into play for the rules of "50% of the showpiece must be able to be made with actual cake?"

Thanks for all the help... I"M SOOOOO TIRED!!! I want to have good dreams again!!

5 replies
lu9129 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 6

I'm lost. Maybe more information. When completed what is it going to be?

Lu

shellzey Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 6

i've done many backdrops for things (not cakes though) i've just used fabric and painted on it. you could find a nice fabric you like. and honestly just get white duct tape to attach to the back of the pvc. it finishes nicely and is the easiest.

KHalstead Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 6

that's what I would say....get a sheet or hey walmart even has some canvas material in the fabric section.....that would take paint nicely. Not sure if you'd need to jesso it or not?

tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 6

I guess it depends on the background that yu are doing..canvas , cardboard..I guess I need more info icon_redface.gif
Edna

deanwithana Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 6

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, but by the way I am reading your are working to enhance the final cake presentation.....this is not a part of the cake correct??? I would think that you could either use a home interior fabric that is heavier in weight???? Or if you are just trying to cover the pvc, then maybe contact paper??? I might really be wrong on all of this......sorry I could not be more help!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%